What'd He Say

"Hey." Simon hopped into the front seat of Liam's car, and motioned for Kit to get in the back.

     "Hi Liam." Kit said with a smirk as he buckled his seat belt.

    "Uh.. Hi." Liam eyes were slightly large, and his voice came out in a grimace. "How was school, Simon?"

     "It was good. You don't need to worry. I'm fine." Simon assured his brother, but Liam just rolled his eyes in response. "Are you going out tonight?" 

     "Yeah. I've got practice later." Liam lied. In truth, he'd be going to work his night job.

    "You should go out and do something fun. Meet some people, or hang out with friends. I feel like you're always at school or playing football." 

    "No time." Liam smiled, "But you should meet some people and make more friends." 

    "I'm right here." Kit groaned from the backseat.

    "Sorry Kit. That's not what I meant." Liam teased, meeting Kit's eyes in the rear view mirror, before flicking his eyes away.

....

     Liam dropped the boys off at Simon's house, after offering to drive Kit home after practice, but Kit had made arrangements for a ride home already. The two boys rushed upstairs to Simon's room, and sat down on his bed. Kit had a little smile on his face, and pushed his ginger hair from his greenish eyes.

    "He's sweet." 

    "He is." Simon eyed Kit suspiciously.

    "And cute..."

    "I guess I've never noticed." Simon stated, "Why do you have to be after my brother anyway? He's in college." 

    "He's a freshman, right?" 

    "Yes." Simon knew Kit could get hung up on things, and hoped he could sway the awkwardness of Kit getting rejected by his brother, by preventing it from happening to begin with. "You're in high school." 

    "But I'm a junior, and I've got an early birthday so I'm already eighteen." Kit insisted, "And the legal age of consent in Massachusetts is 16 anyway." 

    "Why do you even know that?" 

    "Uh.." Kit cleared his throat, "Research."

    "Leave my brother alone." Simon whined. "I don't even think he's into guys."

    "That's okay. I'll be his gay-teway." Kit smirked.

   "Puns are the lowest form of humor." Simon scolded. He wished Kit would just take the hint and not try at his brother, but he seemed to be digging in further. 

    "Speaking of people who we thought liked girls, what the hell happened with you and Shea?" Kit demanded. "It's like one minute you're all in love with my brother, and the next you've got a boyfriend. I didn't think you moved that fast. I'm impressed."

    "He's not my boyfriend, and it's not like that. I told you. I only ever saw Asher as a friend." Simon reminded Kit. This wasn't their first conversation on the topic, but Kit, ever insistent, was enthralled by the idea of Simon and Asher being together.

    "You also told me you didn't like Shea. At all."

   "We.. made up." Simon sat still on the bed. It was a little cold in the room, and he wished he and Kit could just watch a movie or something.

    "You mean you made out." Kit grinned, "You know, kissing doesn't fix the issues, you still ahve to talk and everything, especially because he seemed pretty sure that you were his boyfriend yesterday. Communication is very important to any relationship, friend or more."

    "That's very wise, Kit."

    "I have my moments..." Kit paused. "So if Shea asked you on a date, would say yes?"

    "I'd think about it." Simon resolved.

   "And what if Asher asked you on a date." Kit still wore a slight smile, but his eyes had turned serious.

     "I'd.. uh.. I think I'd think about it." Simon whispered, "But not if Shea asked me out first."

    "Good."

    "You cannot tell Asher that I said that." Simon's voice rose.

    "I won't." Kit assured him.

    "You better not." Simon glared to get his point across, though he was sure Kit wouldn't dare tell Asher anything he told him that day.

     "Speaking of my brother.. What'd he say in lunch today?" 

     "Um.." Simon's brows furrowed, "He said he did a bad thing."

     "Weird. Did he say what?" 

    "No. He didn't say anything. I worry about him, he's really hard on himself." Simon's voice was laced with concern.

    "I guess. I think we've all always been worried that he isn't hard enough on himself, and just does whatever he pleases." 

     "No... No. I don't think that's it. Though I've never really seen him be nasty to anyone."  Simon mused.

    "Simon. If you're going to be around him you have to be aware that he's truly capable of being terrible. It doesn't matter how nice he seems to you, he's dangerous."

     "He doesn't seem all that dangerous to me. But I'll be careful. I promise." Simon was promising to Kit, but deep down he was making the same promise with himself. "I've been too trusting in the past, and I'm not going to let myself get hurt like that again."

    "Good." Kit paused. "I love my brother, but I can't deny he's difficult. I think he likes you. He's always better when he's spent time with you." Kit stated. "I don't want to pressure you. If you don't like him, it's not your responsibility  to take care of him."

    "I.. I know it isn't my responsibility. It isn't my job to care for Liam either... I think I just like taking care of people.. I guess I'm pulled to people who are toxic because.."

     "Hey. It's good. Don't worry. I get that." Kit bit his lip, "I think I might be a little bit like that two... It's good that we've found each other... I think."

     "I think so too." Simon grinned.