Chapter Forty-Nine - Parental-Priorities

Layton had spent one day abed – Isabel fearing a concussion – and was then up and about his duties. As Isabel was not venturing from home – having been lately fragile – she had little reason to cross Layton's path in the course of her day, for she did not need the carriage, and he had few duties about the house which brought him regularly into the presence of the family. This – and this alone – was the reason that Mr Thornton took no immediate action, but sought to bide his time. He thought he might watch the fellow, in order to discover what he was about. Trying, he found it, for he was impatient in his jealous, possessive love, and after one day of seeing the man only haul water about and teach William the way of horses, Mr Thornton quite turned from his observation with a scowl, and glowered at his latest invoices.

For all that Mr Thornton could not love with any tepid, measured ardour – for all that he clung fiercely to his Isabel, and despised the thought of others seeking the warmth of merely sharing her notice, he was a reasonable man, and would not act without honour. For, although the fellow had dared to speak that intimate name, it was but one word, and for all the suspicions it aroused – for all the suspicions Higgins had voiced – what crime had the man committed? What wrong action? What ill intent? Nothing could be certain of, but that a name was spoken.

It piqued in him a fit of jealous indignation, that he could not simply throw the driver out for daring to have a tenderness for his wife. But these violent, prideful emotions, were tempered by that recent memory, of having loved her so sorely, and so hopelessly – as Mr Thornton had thought it, at the time – when he has spied that misunderstood affection between Isabel and Mr Bell.

I could never help but love her, reasoned Mr Thornton. How can I despise another for loving her, when it is only the natural thing to do? Indeed, I ought to pity the man! And he grumbled to himself, that he could not see fit to simply have done with Layton, altogether. It smarted that his honour dictated that the man should stay until some fault was found, but Mr Thornton had seen nothing in the fellow which indicated he sought to draw from Isabel, some returning affection. He might love her only passively, thought Mr Thornton, but still he sneered, for he was not a passive man, and did not think that love could be passive, either.

Conflicted, he called for Higgins, and bid the weaver to his office, where he glowered and scowled, and thought himself a fool, for even entertaining the notion of speaking to a mill hand about such a delicate matter. But Higgins was sharp and recalled with clarity, the utter consternation upon his Master's face, when Layton had been smitten by the horse. He had watched the flow of emotions as they had crossed Mr Thornton's countenance; first shock, then disbelief, changing to anger, jealousy, then indignation, and lingering at hesitant doubt. He knew his Master felt – as would any man – that the driver was a threat – but he thought he had seen – for one passing moment – a flash of sympathy or understanding.

'Yo' wanted t' see me, Master?' encouraged Higgins. Mr Thornton frowned and swallowed deeply.

'Yes, Layton.' Higgins only nodded his head, for it was just as he had expected. 'You said,' another frown, and he turned his face away, for he could not help but grimace with distaste. 'You said he had a fondness for Isabel?'

'Ay, I'm certain tha' 'e does.'

'Why do you think this?' Higgins cocked his head to one side, and watched his Master carefully, before saying saucily, –

'Who would not? Hoo's a bonny lass, an' th' feisty temper t' warm a man.'

'Higgins!' scowled Mr Thornton, for he grew impatient.

'Master, if yo' is axing me, I'd tell yo' tha' Layton seems a harmless kind. I don't think he'd as try owt, but 'e 'as a look about 'im whenever th' Mistress is near, an' I'm welly sure 'e warmed t' young William Harris for yo'r wife's sake – 'er worried for the family, now they've lost Robert Harris' wage. Hoo's a bonny thing an' kind, but t' a man in service, hoo's a different creature, an' a man canna help but be warmed by it.'