Chapter 12

With the sleep monitoring equipment and a week's worth of Riley's clothes in the boot, Cait and Riley pulled into Cait's garage. Riley's big car barely fit next to Agent Seager's four-wheel drive and Cait was doing her best not to let the door hit the wall when she heard a low growl from Riley's side of the car.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Cait followed Riley's gaze and nearly swallowed her tongue. Silhouetted by the afternoon light beyond the garage door, was Aaron. "Sorry," he said, "but I wanted to see you in person and I didn't want to risk you saying 'no' over the phone."

"How did you get her address?"

"Riley," Cait warned as Aaron scanned the car. His eyes lingered on the pile of suit bags laid across the back seat of the car. His nostrils flared.

"Don't worry, Riley," he said, "I'm not here to stake my claim."

"You have no claim mate."

The two men had actually squared up, the car the only thing keeping them apart.

"Hey!" Cait shouted. "Human being here! Got my own brain to make my own decisions and everything."

Aaron had the decency to look embarrassed, but a smug smile spread across Riley's face.

"That was directed at you too Riley," she said.

Riley looked shocked but he stood down and shot her a reluctant apologetic look. "Can you give us a moment out here, please?"

Hesitating, Riley nodded but made a show of opening the car boot and hauling out his suitcase before disappearing through the connecting door into the apartment. Cait felt an apology for Riley's behaviour rising to her lips, but she found herself pleased by the look on Aaron's face and remembered that she didn't owe this man anything. "How did you get my address?"

"Jessica," he said and had the decency to look sheepish.

Cait couldn't be surprised. Her mother had never been able to say no to a good-looking man, especially if said man had shown the slightest interest in her daughter. When Cait had left Aaron, Jessica had assumed Aaron was the injured party and Cait hadn't bothered to correct her. If her mother was currently in the country, Cait wouldn't have been surprised to hear she was regularly making Aaron lamingtons. "How did you even know I was back?"

"I had a call from Sean this morning."

Anger burst through her chest. She set her jaw. "He had your number?"

"He called my work. It's only been four years," he added, when she looked confused, "some of us like to stay in one spot."

She dreaded the answer but she had to ask. "What did he want?"

"To know exactly why we'd split up. He was pretty angry."

"Did you tell him?"

"I told him to ask you but, frankly, I was shocked that he didn't know."

"Some of us keep our word." She hadn't missed his dig about not staying in one spot.

"Look," he folded his arms and looked down at his shuffling feet, "I didn't mean for you to never tell your family."

Her eyes narrowed. When and what she told her family was none of his business. "What's your point, Aaron?"

"I never should have asked you to keep it a secret"

"Aaron–"

"Please, I need to say this."

"Not now!" She couldn't stop herself glancing back toward the door into the house, and Aaron picked up on her concern that Riley might be listening.