Chapter 36: Behind The Mask

Part 5: Mr. Harmon's POV

Anyone could sneak into a middle school dance with a disguise. That's why no one knew who Abby was behind the mask. She stared at Violet with a devilish smile on her lips. Her feathered mask covered her eyes and nose, making her mouth the only thing visible on her face.

 Her feathered mask covered her eyes and nose, making her mouth the only thing visible on her face

Abby walked up to the DJ. Anyone could be hired as a DJ for a middle school dance party. That's why no one knew Violet's own father was behind the equipment. Violet wouldn't have known anyways, his face wasn't like Violet knew it to be. He had changed it. It was a power he gained for being so dedicated to the book.

"She's happy," Abby said, standing beside the equipment that Mr. Harmon stood behind. "She could be happier with us."

Mr. Harmon played the next song, then focused on Abby. "Ryan makes her happy. Maybe if we can get him on our side, she'll join us. Katherine is already taking care of my wife and Denise."

Abby nodded. "I'm taking care of the kids. April won't say she sacrifices because she wants her mom to join us first. A smart kid she is. One boy never focuses long enough to understand my offer, and the other one is afraid of me. We need another plan."

Mr. Harmon looked at his daughter and smiled. "I think we're going in a good direction. Maybe we can even get Emily involved. The more sacrifices, the more power. Not many people sacrifice willingly, though, and that's a problem. We can kill them, but we need them on our side."

Abby leaned on the equipment, nearly messing up the track. She quickly got off of it. "Instead of making her life miserable by freaking her out. Maybe you should make her happy again and show her what it's like to really live. Use someone else's parts for your art."

"I can't help it," Mr. Harmon sighed. "But you're right. I need to establish a good relationship with her so I can ease her and Veronica back into my life. I'll use someone else for my art. Perhaps Emily's parents. Emily doesn't need them."

A teacher walked up to Mr. Harmon and handed him a paper. Abby watched as her father straightened the microphone and talked into it. "Okay, grab a new partner! Time to switch things up on the dance floor. Get with those strangers and show each other some new moves." Mr. Harmon had to disguise his voice. He then played the next song, which was more of heavy rock.

Abby fixed her mask and walked up to Violet and tapped her on the shoulder. "Care to dance?" Abby asked, also trying to disguise her voice. 

Ryan backed away and smiled. "Have fun," he laughed.

Violet tried to back away, but Abby laughed and took her hands. "We're going to have fun. It's just a dance."

Violet laughed. "Sorry, I'm just really shy whenever I meet new people."

"How would you know if I'm a new person?" Abby smiled and began to dance with her.

"I guess I wouldn't," Violet replied. "I love the mask."

"Me too."

"So," Violet squinted. "Do I know you?"

Abby spun Violet around. "Maybe," Abby said, then linked both hands with Violet. "Maybe not."

"Okay," Violet chuckled. "I'm Violet."

"Violet. I love the name."

"Thanks."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"If you could have one wish," Abby said. "What would you wish for?"

"That's easy," Violet smiled. "A normal life."

Abby let go of her hands and Violet looked at her, confused. "You can have that, Violet. Just remember that life is full of risk. Don't be afraid to take those risk." She winked, then walked away. Violet watched as she disappeared into the crowd.

Mr. Harmon watched Violet returned to her friends, laughing and having fun. A smile crossed his face, but there was that voice in the background.

"Don't show mercy. Smile when you get her to sacrifice. That is the real achievement."

"I'm working on it," he accidentally said through the microphone, unaware that he spoke out loud. His voice echoed through the room and everyone faced him, even Violet. Violet's eyes widened and she looked around rapidly.  Mr. Harmon turned away and focused on the music equipment, but he was sure Violet recognized his voice. She was still looking around, frightened and afraid.

Abby returned and Mr. Harmon took her hand. "See the gothic looking girl, and the other two Violet's talking to?" He asked. "I have a wonderful idea."

"What idea?" Abby asked.

 "We'll talk about it after the party, dear." Mr. Harmon smiled.

***

After the party ended, Ryan found himself getting ready for bed. While he was in the bathroom, he heard his guitar being played softly. He peeked into his room. He found a girl sitting on his bed playing his guitar. "Hey!" His eyes widened from fear. "What are you doing in my room? Get out."

Abby stuck her hand out at him and his body floated in the air. Abby then floated in the air herself, with the guitar still in her hands. She began to play while doing flips and amazing trips in the air. Ryan's jaw dropped in amazement. "Woah, how are you doing this?"

Abby played the guitar while hanging upside down in the air. "Do you believe in magic?" She asked.

Ryan looked around and swayed his hands in the air. "I'm starting to," he chuckled.

"Ryan," Abby said. "Magic is real. I'm here to tell you that, from now on...your life will never be the same."

"How?"

"You want your stepdad gone right?" She asked. "I know what he does. I know everything he does, Ryan."

"No," he said. "You don't know anything about him."

"Do I dare mention all the horrible thing?" Abby lowered him down, and also herself. "The stuff he told you not to tell your mom and if you did, he'd kill her. Or the stuff he threatened your mom with and threatened to kill you. No man like him deserves a family. You're more than what you think Ryan." She handed him his guitar back. "I can give you the life you want and desire."

Ryan wiped every tear before they fell. 

"I just need you to trust me," she said, taking his arm. "Will you trust me, Ryan? I have the power to make your life better."

Ryan thought about it. He looked at his bedroom door. From behind he could hear his stepfather laughing at the TV series he was watching. A person like him didn't deserve to laugh. He thought. He began to think about all the horrors he experienced with his stepdad. The lies, the sexual abuse, the physical abuse, the emotional abuse. Abby smiled as Ryan balled up his fist at his own thoughts. Ryan looked at her. He nodded. "I will trust you." He said.