A Thing

(Y/N)

You pulled away from him. You didn't know what to feel, but you did know that you wanted to stay. You wished you were confident like you were in any other moment. Why did you feel dependent now? Out of all the down hill times, why now did you feel this vulnerable? You didn't move for a solid minute until made yourself move away from him. "(Y/N)?", he quietly asked. You pursed your lips and quickly ran towards the door. 'This was a huge mistake to see him, what was I thinking?'

"(Y/N)! Hey wait!"

The door slammed behind you. You embarrassed yourself enough, in your opinion.

8:05 AM

*******

10:57 AM

You stood still behind your register waiting for this person to decide what to order. After your little incident at Burr's hours ago, your mindset turned into what is best known as "Blah". You tried your best to keep your perfect posture, but your corset itched and your patience was practically gone.

"I'll have a bluebe- No nevermind."

This is the seventeenth time this man has done this except for what he was about to say before changing his mind. These types of customers infuriated you. The worst part was that you never had bad days like these. At least never over BOYS. The level of uncaring and impatience was high in your system. It made it painfully obvious that your smile was fake when you said, "It's okay, take your time." The line behind him was long and filled with people who looked liked they actually had a life.

'Hmm, can't relate.'

"Wait- yes, okay I know what I want now." You listened intently and stood up straighter. You thought this would be a complicated order to have taken so long to choose what you freaking wanted. You decided to get out your notepad and quill from one of the drawers under the register. "Yes?", you said genuinely happy, not for him, but for finally doing something.

"One biscuit, please."

You wanted to peel your face off.

******

6:47pm

A happy place was nice to have when you feel down or upset. Call it a sanctuary for a fancy name, and you did just that. You felt better bundled in a bunch of blankets in front of your fireplace. It let your mind spiral to other subjects. Obviously political ones. This was the first time in a very long time when you were actually miserable at your job. Baking was a part of you. Why get something so close to you ruined over a seemingly impossible relationship?

You didn't want to even think about him. He always just made you feel a pain in your gut whenever you thought about him. Heck, you got his address from the first letter he wrote you. You kept it because it made you feel smaller. For reasons you didn't understand, you enjoyed feeling beneath him. The small things like wanting him to see you in a dress or wanting him to be under your care. And deep down today, you wanted to stay.

But yet you ran away.

*******

(One Week Later)

Wednesday, March 13, 1776

Soldiers are scarce, food is low as well as money and ammunition. Only God's grace can hear our pleas and carry us through this valley of the unknown​. Lexington feels like it was twenty years ago. Let us hope this works.

*******

5:45 pm

Knock knock knock knock.