25th ツ

25th

There were so many ways to which love could come to us. For some, it was that one unexpected ride that you’d never imagined taking. That one wrong turn, a wrong corner. But it was all you needed.

“Kayla!” I snapped, as John's call penetrated my ears.

“What happened?” I blurted out of nowhere, making it the most unintelligent statement of the century. But it turned out that my uncanny reaction did something good. For the first time since he arrived here, John finally laughed. However, the bad thing was, he was laughing about my senseless question.

Regardless, I felt the hefty lines on my face slowly disappear. The heaviness and bewilderment I felt a moment ago was swept away by the soft sound of his laugh. And the awkward mood eventually lightened up a bit.

“I'm sorry for being so surprised,” I added, smiling a bit as I stared at his face.

“It's okay. Sorry for suddenly saying all that,” he said, sitting again on the vacant swing.

The streets of Creeksburg became normal once more, as the once stopped cars and silenced place in my imagination came alive. As for the world, it came back and decided to start revolving again. Everything was back to normal, as the unimaginable happening came to an end.

Aaron had been gone million of years ago. I mean, a moment ago. And as expected, he didn't leave without putting on a show, saying that he was certain that it was him who I really liked. But the moment he had said that I was still head over heels about him and that I would be utterly miserable without him in my life, I snapped and told him to get lost.

Once, I had been that way. But my wishful hopes and dreams about him altogether disappeared to nowhere. Reality check, Aaron was really a jerk from the start.

After that awkward moment, Aaron finally left us. I had no clue where he would go or what he’d do with his life. But setting all that aside, I was certain that he could live on and still be happy. He once ran away with someone, and had the time of his life while cheating on me. He could do anything with his life. All of which, I had no care about.

And so that left me with John here, sitting beside me and staring at me in such a very endearing manner. The words were out; the verdict had been declared. So where exactly did I stand now?

“Kayla,” Dorothy whispered in a weak voice.

I held her hand and clasped it tightly, letting her know that I was around. “I'm here.”

She smiled faintly, lines tracing the fullness of her face. She asked Mr. Smith to pick me up and bring me here—all the way from Creeksburg—telling him that she had something to say to me. John was out and attending a meeting, so I was the only one with her in this empty room.

A few days in the ICU, she had been transferred to a regular room. And she was getting spunkier, I heard. All in all, I was glad that she was well.

“Kayla, sit down. I have something to tell you,” she told me.

I walked closer to her, and took a seat. I stared blankly at Dorothy, unable to grasp why she called me here, or how to react to that person whom I had caused a misfortune to happen. She softly smiled at me. I unintentionally flashed back a guilty smile, the one wherein you tell the whole world that you had done something wrong.

Dorothy seemed to notice it and she shook her head. “Don't give me that look.”

“But...”