Chapter twelve

Word count: 1342

-Layla

"The alpha died." I grit through my teeth. I stand at the long meeting table in a neutral territory. Sitting at the table is Makayla, Brynn, and Tara. Their eyes all widen at my information. 

"Well that wasn't supposed to happen." Makayla scoffs. How does she find this funny? 

"I hope you know that now Zane is in line to be alpha. This creates a bigger problem." I stare off, deep in thought. 

There is no way out of this situation. I can't tell Lance what we've done. Making a deal with such beings, I'd be stripped of my authority. 

"Can we renegotiate?" Brynn questions, slowly taking a sip of her water. 

I take a deep sigh through my nose, running a hand through my short hair. 

"Renegotiate for what? Bring the man back alive? They don't have that kind of power." Makayla counters. 

"But don't the Fates know when people live and die?" Tara asks dumbly. Of course they knew. They knew when they set the deal. They twist and cut the strings of life. 

"They set us up." I growl out.

Makayla lets out another laugh, this one bounces off of the walls of the nearly empty room. 

"We're so screwed." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Heidi

I can no longer watch. His strength has been growing and it shows. Since he had won the last brawl.

The crowd loves Zane, the way he fights with a smile on his face. The way he hasn't gotten an injury this entire battle. He has crowned himself king of the brawl and is going to try and become undefeated. 

Last month I had vetoed his winning, putting him back at round one. Tyler remained the final opponent at round three. He had one more chance to redeem himself, make it back to the top. I had faith in him, but now as I watch the battle between my fingers, I see him get thrown across the cage.

He hits the chain fencing and plummets to the mat with a loud thud. I want to scream. Seeing Zane conquer Tyler, who had been undefeated for so many months, was not the outcome I was hoping for. 

When he came here, I had intended to punish him for his crimes. But everything I had tried so far has only built his confidence. I could see it in his dark brown eyes. He was winning now. 

The third round was quick. Tyler was slapped around the ring like a dog toy. The crowd of inmates ate it up like cake at a child's party. Each hit that Tyler took enraged me more. 

I didn't even bother announcing the obvious winner. Tyler had to be dragged out of the ring to receive medical attention. My wolf growled inside me as I approached the ring. 

"That was almost too easy," Zane stood from the mat, approaching me slowly. "Don't tell me you're going easy on me now, Captain." He tilted his head, curious eyes scanning for a reaction. 

I give a fake humbled nod. "Good job, wannabe, are you ready for your prize?"

He brings his hands up to his heart as if he's just won Miss America. "I would be honored!" He wipes a fake tear from his eye. His knuckles are bloody and blistered. 

I fake a smile. Then with a snap of my fingers, two guards come and grab him by his arms.

"Come with me and I'll show you to your 'special hotel' for the rest of your stay." I sneer as the guards drag him along with me.