Chapter 38

Camille

There he was sitting in front of me, his expression blank but you could tell by the constant tapping of his foot that he was anxious. Like he knew what was yet to come.

It had been two days since the incident and I called Josiah wanting to meet to discuss what was next for us. We were sitting in a secluded booth at a restaurant that Josiah had booked for us.

When the waitress arrived we both ordered our drinks but said nothing to one another. I decided to be the one to speak first.

"So how've you been?" I ask quietly.

"Fine." Was all he said as he avoided my gaze.

"So the weathers been nice late-."

"You called me hear to break up with me, if you're going to do it then get it over with."

I let out a sigh before looking at him, "I think I just need time away from you Josiah."

"But why?" You could hear the pain in his voice.

"The past few months have been very crazy for the both of us. We hardly got time to breathe and just live you know? I feel like ever since I met you, I've just been apart of your life. I don't have my own anymore."

He frowns,"But we've talked about this before and you're free to do as you wish, why does it require you to leave me?"

"That's the problem! I don't need your permission to do as I please either. And also because I don't know if I know you Josiah. I need time away from you to figure out if I'm okay with who you really are."

He reaches out to hold my hand across the table, "You know me Camille, I'm the same person I've been this whole time." His voice was soft as he gently caressed my hand in his.

I moved my hand away from his and shook my head, "I don't know the man I saw the other day. That man terrified me."

"Camille that was to protect you!" His voice is suddenly raised. "I only did that to make an example of anyone who wanted to get back at Richard through you. So that they knew you were not to be messed with without consequences."

"So then who were those men? You had to kill them because of me? It's my fault they're dead." I stated in a whisper suddenly feeling even more sick.

"It is not your fault, it was my choice. Don't worry about the details."

I glared at him, "That's the other thing, I'm excluded from everything! You never tell me what's going on and I'm always left in the dark!"

Frustration was clear in his expression,"Can't you see why? You can't handle it! If I were to tell you the gory detailed truth about everything going on you would have left me ages ago!"

"Doesn't that tell you something? I was not built for this! This is not the type of life I want! I'm not a mafia wife Josiah! This is exactly why I have to leave!"

He glares at me, "You knew exactly what you were getting into when you got involved with me."

"I never intentionally got involved with you."

"And I didn't want this to turn into what it has."

"So then what do you suggest we do now Josiah?" I ask him calmly.

He looks away from me, not meeting my gaze. "I do love you Josiah, which is why I need this time away from you. If we end up together again then so be it, but if not then that's how it was meant to be." He still refuses to let my eyes meet his. I stand up from the table and approach him face to face to make him look at me.

"I'm sorry." I say before kissing his forehead and letting the tears fall. His jaw was clenched but his face showed no emotion as he watched me leave the restaurant.

I knew I was doing the right thing.

If it was really meant to be, we'd find each other again.

—————————

Short chapter :( but a very important one.

- AuggiePooh_