Chapter 2

I woke up to the smell of cigarette smoke in the house. Uncle had been gambling against last night.

I pulled myself out of my bed. I could tell by the light streaming through the windows that it was early morning, so Uncle wouldn't be awake yet, plus he would probably be hungover again. If I was quick I could shower and have some breakfast before he woke up.

I picked my clothes up and made my way out of my room and into the bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror, I looked at myself closely. My white hair looked dirty and dull, and my skin was covered in bruises of different colors that hadn't healed yet. I looked gloomy and broken.

Staring at myself in the mirror, I wondered if I would ever be able to escape this house. I would be turning 18 soon and no longer legally in the care of my Uncle, I doubted he would care much if I ran away from home, in fact he would probably be glad to never see me again.

I wondered if my life would have been any different if my parents were still alive. I couldn't remember them, they passed away when I was two and I had been living here ever since. I hoped they would have loved me, not like Uncle who made it clear he couldn't care less about me.

Shaking my head, I tried not to think about it. I stepped into the shower, shivering under the cold spray. I tried to be as quick as possible, scrubbing my hair and body before getting out the shower and drying myself off. I couldn't be too loud or Uncle would be livid. I put my t-shirt and shorts on and headed downstairs.

Looking in the fridge, I was disappointed to find hardly any food. It looked like Uncle hadn't bothered to go shopping. I would go myself to get some food but I wasn't even allowed to leave the house unsupervised, and I had no money anyway.

I managed to find some bread to make toast with, and I poured myself a glass of water. Taking a look around the kitchen I noticed how untidy it was, Uncle and his gambling buddies had made a mess last night. Empty glasses and whiskey bottles littered the table, and fast food wrappers were on the floor.

Sighing to myself, I started to tidy up. If I worked fast I could finish cleaning before Uncle woke up. I put all of the empty bottles and wrappers into the trash and empty glasses into the sink before wiping down the table.

I hadn't finished cleaning when I heard a door slam and Uncle start walking downstairs. I flinched at the noise, I was worried he would punish me for not cleaning fast enough. I tensed as he walked past the kitchen, and I could feel his eyes on me, but strangely he didn't say anything, just walking past me into the living room to start watching TV. It was strange, usually he would say something to chastise me, but I was lucky not to get hit today.

Once I finished cleaning I headed back upstairs to my room, and shortly after I heard a loud banging on the door. After a moment, I heard Uncle open the front door and the voice of another man I didn't recognize. They seemed angry at each other. I couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but it was something about money. This didn't surprise me, Uncle was always gambling away his money, he probably owed someone and couldn't pay.

I tried not to listen in too much to what they were saying downstairs. It was scary, I didn't want to be around Uncle when he was angry so I just stayed in my room for the rest of the day.