Chapter Twenty One

The first thing I notice when I come home is nearly every light in the house on. The second is my dad sitting in the same exact place I left him.

"God, dad, how much is your electricity bill?" I ask as I flick all the light switches off and enter the living room to plop down on the couch.

"You don't want to know." He mutters, seeming exhausted.

"Why are you still up? It's like," I check my phone, "oh, I guess it's only 10, but still."

"I just wanted to make sure you got home safe." He grumbles, leaning forward in his recliner.

This stops any other comments from escaping my mouth. Sometimes I forget what having a stable parent actually means.

"Also, don't think you're getting out of telling me about your evening. I'll wake you up for breakfast in the morning." He informs before standing and giving me a kiss atop my head.

"Okay, dad. Sleep tight." I chirp, hiding any trace of worry and shooting to my feet to give him a proper hug before we both retreat to our rooms.

"Goodnight, sweetheart." He calls from his hall to mine.

I smile a wide, unpenetratable grin before opening my room door and throwing myself into the cozy comforter on the bed.

It took two days for everything to turn around. Two days spent with my best friends, dad, and Ethan. Now my troubles seem to fade away as I focus on all things lovey dovey.

My soul is content with how the night is ending. Pushing thoughts of mom to the back of my mind, I focus on my future with Ethan.

Two more months until we can be together with no restrictions. It seems so far but so close.

Part of me is still skeptical, as if there's something missing in the puzzle. I push the uneasy feeling to the back of my mind before turning onto my stomach and booting up the freshly charged chromebook.

I might as well get some school work done while my mind is buzzing with activity.

°•°•°•°

The moon barely illuminates an outline of a shadow in the distance. I don't need much lighting to recognize the silhouette anyhow.

With broad shoulders set high, the figure makes his way along a foggy path leading to me.

A glimmer catches familiar blue eyes that burn straight through me.

Beginning in the center of my forehead a chill breaks out, leading down my spine and through every cell along my fingertips. His feet bring him closer and closer as I calm the goosebumps on my forearms.

Upon examination, I realize that I'm bare, void of any clothing. This makes me feel a level of discomfort that has my chest collapse in on itself. I cover every inch of filthy skin I can.

When I avert my eyes up, I now come face to face with Ethan and my vulnerability grows when I see him fully clothed in his signature dress pants and black tee.

His presence doesn't bring me the usual feeling of comfort. Instead, my skin crawls and a ball of anxiety grows in the back of my throat as he slowly raises his hand.

Though his clothes look pristine, his skin shares the same coat of dirt as my own. It looks and feels as if we'd rolled around in filth prior to this.

His index finger is extended, ready to caress my face, but just before he can, another silhouette appears behind him.

Before I catch sight of their face, a familiar manicured hand slowly clutches Ethan's shoulder as long, slender fingers run along the hem of his collar.