Chapter Fifteen- When You're Ready

Chapter Fifteen- When You’re Ready

            “You have everything? Your things? All of them? Oh, and the treats. You have them?”

            Mom’s questions were probably pre-recorded. And they’re probably playing on repeat right now, and I can’t find the stop button. She must have asked all of these questions at least ten times. But no, I don’t get tired of them too much.

            Probably because I’m leaving, and it’s all so sad, and I can’t imagine leaving this place all over again.

            Not after those past three days when I felt like Mom and I really had a connection. We finally talked. Really talked. And maybe that was what mattered most to me.

            “I think you forgot your journal. Do you have your journal? You’re journal must be here somewhere…”

            I sighed. “Mom, it’s here already. Inside my bag.”

            “Are you sure?”

            I laughed, pulled her in, and kissed her cheek. “I’m sure, Mom.”

            “Well… if you’re really sure, then we better hurry up now.”

            I nodded. Well, even if I’m not ready to leave, it’s not like I shouldn’t. I’m not ready to leave yet. Not entirely. But I’m ready to come back to Blue Cove. Does that even make sense? It probably doesn’t.

            But to me it does. Unlike the first time, when I wasn’t ready to leave, but I wasn’t ready to plunge into a whole new world, this time, it feels like I’m not entirely ready to leave, but I know what’s coming and I’m ready for it.

            We load the things in the trunk. All my suitcases and stuff for me leaving tomorrow. My mom spent her life organizing every single detail. Because of that, she believes being ready beforehand is a good thing. It probably is, I know. That’s why I ended up doing all the packing days before I leave, making me feel like I’m leaving too soon.

            But still.

            We drove around. Well, actually, she did.

            I could tell she was totally tired. Completely exhausted. But she tried to put up with me, and my selfish request for her to drive me to Dad’s. It wasn’t a very long drive. And I actually enjoyed it, even though we didn’t speak much. I still feel like we’re connected now. Like something’s different.

            And maybe that’s true.

“Hey, kiddo.”

            I nodded and smiled at my father. “Hey, Dad.”

            He pulled me in, and was hugging me with one hand. “Missed you.”

            You could’ve called me when I was at Mom’s, my brain whispered, because it was true. But Mom and I already talked about not saying things like this.

            “You’re going back to Blue Cove already, huh? Well, that sucks,” he said.

            I didn’t appreciate the way he said this. “Actually, it doesn’t. I mean, It’s okay there.”