Chapter 10

The One Where They Get In An Argument

Alexander's POV

I was walking out of class when Mr. Washington approached me. "Hamilton? Meet me inside my office." He looked angry.

Lafayette and Mulligan said "Oooh you're in trouble!" And I gave a dirty look.

I walked in and I awkwardly sat down at the chair in front of his desk. It was cluttered with papers and pens, almost as much as mine. He cleared his throat. "Son,"

"Hey dad!" I said, walking up to him. He looked nervous. "You know I'm turning 10 tomorrow, right?" I said, holding up my fingers. "Double digits!" I said, excitedly. "Yeah, yeah. I'm going out for cigarettes. I'll be back soon... Bye..." He flinched. "Bye son." He said, and swiftly went out the door. That was the last time I ever saw him. I was never fond of birthdays after that.

"Don't call me son." I said defensively. "Irrelevant. Anyway, we have complaints of you getting in fights with like, five people. I'll let it slide son, but you can't keep getting in fights like this son, you'll get hurt." He said carefully.

"I'm not your son."

"You broke one of our honor-roll students's nose!"

"You're right, I should have just punched him in the mouth. That would have shut that bastard up."

"Watch your tone, I'm still your professor. You're going to get yourself killed! Your family needs you alive, your friends need you alive... Son, I need you ali-"

That set me off. I jumped out of my chair.

"Call me son one more time!" I said, breathing heavily.

He was slouching, but he stood up to his full height, a good 3 inches taller than me.

He stared at me, and then blinked. "Clearly you're under stress. Winter break is tomorrow. It'll do you good. Go home, so-" he sighed. "Go home, Alexander." He said in a harsher voice than normal.

I sighed, and walked out, but not before kicking a chair. I shouldn't have yelled at him like that. He is my favorite professor.

John's POV

I sat on the bed in my room, in my own apartment. I just rented it last month to get away from my creepy roommate. I figured that 19 was old enough.

"Alexander, you can't stay here by yourself for Christmas." I argued with him.

"I'm literally the least holiday-ish person."

"Peggy is staying here too! You're my boyfriend!" I said, then laughed. "I'll be fine on my own."

"What's up with you today? Do you not want to stay here or something? Too much like moving in, Mr. Commitment Issues." I was standing up now.

Believe it or not, this was our first argument in a whole 5 months of dating.

"Okay, first of all, I don't have commitment issues, second of all, I just think that you're treating me like a little kid! You're only a year older than me!"

"This isn't about that! It's about me not wanting my boyfriend to be alone for Christmas."

"I need to study anyway!" He yelled angrily.

My face was getting red. "Oh, of course you need to study. You have a 4.0 GPA, Alexander! You put away your family and friends to study! It's all you do!" I said, gesturing towards his backpack full of books.

"Well I'm sorry for caring about my studies!" "Maybe I don't even want you to stay!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, hoping the neighbors didn't complain.

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

"Whatever, Jack."

I stopped clenching my fists. "What did you just say to me?" I asked calmly. "You know, Jack? The annoying nickna-" "Get out." I said coldly.

"What? John, I didn't mean to-"

"GET OUT!" I screamed, and he started walking to the door. I felt tears in my eyes. He turned around.

"Listen, I-"

"GO!"

"John,"

He tried to reason with me. "I never want to see you again. Get the fuck out." I said, opening the door, and I was actually crying by now. "Just listen to m-"

"Fuck you!" I said, and slammed the door in his face. I slumped down the door and put my head in my hands.

Oh my god. What did I just do?