24th ☾ Upon Sealed Lips

One day, two hearts will find each other,

A beat that is his own, a breath that speaks the unknown.

24th

Upon Sealed Lips

When I pulled away, I slowly opened my eyes and searched for the sword. I had no idea how this was supposed to work, but I did what the scroll had indicated.

There was none.

Alec profoundly looked at me, a withheld judgment in his eyes. I didn't know how to explain it.

"Nothing happened," I confirmed to him. It was hard to talk without breaking into tears. Shame, anger, and frustration washed over me. "It's not supposed to be like this."

"And the sword?"

I hung my head in shame.

He leaned back, shifting his weight on the palm of his hands. "I'm guessing it didn't work. What could have gone wrong?"

"I don't know," I answered, perplexed. "I swear, I did what the scroll said. This was supposed to work. What's missing?"

"The moons are shining so bright. Who would have thought we would still live to see a night like this?" Alec just said, taking in the moment instead.

"The crescent moons would be gone come midnight. All the spells previously cast will be negated, and this... everything will be meaningless. All the sacrifices we made, the people we lost," I took in a breath. "Esme. My parents. Every single one of them, their deaths will mean nothing. In the end, that tyrant would still prevail."

"Are you okay?"

I shook my head. "Hardly."

"Is there anything I could do to help?"

With a wry smile, I answered, "You did what you could. Look, I'll just call for help. Your leg needs to be attended."

"Aren't you supposed to be hiding from the guards?"

"Right," I remembered, feeling lightheaded. I wanted to get out of his sight. I felt shame about what had just happened—or of what didn't. I failed to obtain the sword. Despite the confusion in my head, I tried to recall if I'd missed anything. There wasn't much time left before the crescent moons would disappear.

Alec said, "I'll be fine. It's probably best to hide here."

"It hardly matters now. Let them take me. Nothing will change anyway," I said with bitter resentment, as I headed to the garden's entryway. "I'll be back. I could find a healer somewhere. It's the least I could do for you."

He was listless to argue with me about it, as anyone in his position should have felt after a day like this. When I was out of his sight and found my way to his grandfather's workshop, I lifted my head and stared at the crescent moons once more. It was shining so bright up there, amidst the dark and dreary skies. It was supposed to bring hope and good fortune for the years to come, like what the adage had said. With Henry still on the throne, I didn't know if it would ever be possible.

And it felt like it was my fault. I was their only hope, and I'd failed Incantasi. I closed my eyes, wondering what I'd done wrong. The crescent moons. The missing prince. The kiss. Everything was there, so what else did I miss?

My hand felt warm all of a sudden, and I looked at my seal. It was shining brightly on its own once again, like it did in the past. It was hard to believe, but I never doubted that my seal had a mind of its own. Like it could hear my thoughts and respond when it wanted to.