Chapter 23

Hi,

I've been getting many comments about the two men in Anna's life - you all know who I'm talking about. So, I'm gonna come right out and ask: team Alexander or team Andy? And why? I'm curious!! :-)

Lara

_______________________________________________________

Chapter 23

I might have been able to turn things in my favor if I went to the Circle right after I escaped Medici. If I had handed over the objects I got instantly and without an ounce of distrust. Not so now.

"It's too late for making deals with Brown," I said softly.

"No, it's not," Andy said, folding his arms in front of him.

I saw it in the stance, heard it in his voice. He was going to do it his way no matter what I said. And it might hurt him in more than one way if he did.

I couldn't let that happen, even if I didn't have the guts to be straightforward with him. I pushed myself up from the bed and got on my feet. It didn't feel like they were about to collapse. Bully for me.

"Thank you for, for helping me. Really, I mean it, but I think it's better if I go now."

"And do what?"

I turned. Where were my shoes?

"I'll tell you, once I figure it out," I said, absently.

He grabbed my arm and spun me around.

"Dammit, this is not a game, Anna!" There was an urgency in his voice that alarmed me.

"I know that, better than anyone else. Andy, in the eyes of the Circle I'm a criminal. I can't go to Brown."

"You can. If you can prove that you're innocent."

There's nothing to prove. Anyone that uses dark magic is guilty in the eyes of the Circle.

I opened my mouth, closed it. Dammit.

"Prove it? How?"

The words were out before I could stop myself. I knew better.

I should know better.

"If you bring in the Raven, personally, and testify against him, the Circle will have no other choice but to absolve you of all charges," Andy said.

If only it were that easy. Andy didn't know I already used dark magic. Another fact I didn't mention. What would he do if he knew?

Tell him. You must tell him.

And become the villain in this piece of show? Lose another friend on the way to hell?

"I'm going to help you," he said.

Don't. I closed my eyes. Tell him. Go ahead, tell him that it's too late.

"How?" I said.

There it was. That small part of myself that hoped against hope. That still thought I could come out unscathed, shake off the black speck of dirt my soul was soiled with.

"Give me a few days. I have my resources," he said. A slow, tentative smile crossed his lips, softening his features.

For a small fleeting moment I wished there was a way to come clean with the Circle, wished that I didn't have to go back and hide. I was not only hiding from the people that were trying to kill me, and I knew it.

Fade Into Black - Shadows of the Night 5On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara