Chapter 50

Hi,

I'm doing an early update, just for you guys! It was fun to write this, so I hope you like the chapter. Feel free to vote or comment, and have a great weekend :-)

Lara

______________________________________________________

Chapter 50

"Do it. Here and now," Alexander said softly, his left hand going up to her cheek.

A jolt rippled through her, the sensation on her cheek like a burning wildfire, warring with the perfect place inside herself – that silent eye of the storm no one could touch.

"Don't touch me," she said.

His hand left her cheek, and the spot where he touched felt warm and cold at the same time. His eyes were aglow and a thousand different shades of the ocean slammed into her, forcing her to relive memories of their previous encounters and of that one night when –

Suddenly it was hard to breathe, to even look at his eyes. The magic in her fingertips stuttered and waned. She stepped away and averted her head. The magic died to a quiet ember deep down inside of her.

She needed to get back into that perfect state, find that white noise again. Or else she would lose.

She shook herself mentally. There was no other option.

"You said I had to pay for them. What exactly do you mean by that?" She said, crossing her arms in front of her.

Alexander was watching her intently. That power he carried around like a second skin was like a constant current wearing her out.

"New York is in danger of collapsing in on itself. You must know that," he said.

"I don't care," she said. "And I don't care what you think I know. I'm here for the objects. Nothing more."

"Nothing more, is it?" Alexander cocked his head.

"Nothing more." She lifted her chin. "Now tell me what you would demand for payment."

He turned around and walked back to the bar, picking up the whiskey glass. He watched her over the rim of the glass, then took a small sip.

"Information. Resources. Your aid."

Of course he wanted that. If she agreed she would become a puppet yet again. In a nutshell she would be what he'd always wanted her to be. A servant, one piece in a big clock mechanism of threats and counter-threats, blood and power. She was no puppet, no possession someone could use the way they wanted.

"No," she said, turned away from him and started walking.

She was power. She would find a way. The oily black curtain was within reach. Once she stepped through she would find-

"Wait. There is something I want you to see."

His words slammed into her back and she stopped. The oily curtain was so close, one step would take her out of his reach and into the night, where she could breathe freely again and search that perfect spot that let her live. And survive.

"Give me one of the stolen artifacts and I will stay," she tossed over her shoulder.

"You will want to see what I have to show to you," he said softly.

"A stolen artifact or I'm out of here," she said.

She stilled. His fingers were wrapped around her arm, skin pins and needles where he touched. And she hadn't seen or felt him move. She simply hadn't.