Chapter 10

• John's POV •

Yes! Alexander said, well, signed, yes! He probably just pitied me and agreed to go so he didn't leave me alone and on the spot with Peggy and her new girlfriend, but hey, a win is a win.

We had each gone back to our respective homes to get ready. The four of us were going  to dinner at this fancy Mexican restaurant that Peggy insisted on, saying she would pay and everything.

I took my hair out of its ponytail, just to reslick the top and put it back into a cleaner one. I looked down at my clothes, a grey sweatshirt and dark jeans with tennis shoes. I decided to change and pulled on a green button up and lighter jeans, with less dirty tennis shoes. Just before I walked out, there was rapid knocking on the door. Oops, I forgot this was kind of Peggy's house too.

"John! Lemme in already! We have to leave in like 30 minutes and I need to get ready!" She whined. I laughed and pulled the doorknob so she could come in.

I jokingly shoved her into the bathroom as I walked out and laughed again as I felt her fake glare piercing me. Even with Peggy's fake madness, nothing could bring me down from my happiness. I was going out with Alex! Thank God for Peggy finally growing a pair and asking Maria out and awkwardly forcing me and Alex together.

I scrolled through my phone while waiting for Peggy. Jesus, women took so long to get ready. Maybe that's why I'm not attracted to them. Eh, guess we'll never know.

When Peggy finally emerged from the bathroom, over 30 minutes later, we finally left.

Maria and Alex were meeting us at the restaurant so we just left and drove there, Peggy speeding a little bit because she realized we left too late.

"It's your fault, John!" She whined as she gripped the steering wheel tightly.

"No it isn't! You took 45 minutes to get ready and you knew we only had 30 minutes!" I laughed, not really mad.

"It's still your fault!" She tried to whine but it came out all squeaky and full of giggles, which made us both laugh.

At last we pulled into the restaurant and rushed inside to see Alex and Maria trying to have a conversation. Maria doesn't know ASL so she would speak and Alex would reply by writing something down on a piece of paper. They both looked up and smiled when they saw us, Maria waving us over.

"Hey guys!" Peggy and I said in unison, then looked at each other with a "What the hell?" kind of look. Maria laughed and Alex waved.

I sat in the chair next to Alex and looked at the menu.

"Do you want me to order for you?" I asked. He nodded.

"Ooh, what're you guys gonna get? The tamales sound amazing." Maria said, scanning the menu as well. Alex pointed to the Carne Asada Tacos and I nodded.

"Cool, I was gonna get those too." I smiled at him and he blushed a little. Aw, he was so cute when he blushed. As soon as that thought went through my head he blushed harder and looked away.

"Ah shit, did I say that out loud?" He nodded and put his red face on my shoulder in embarrassment.

"Hey, don't be embarrassed. I wasn't lying." He looked up at me and smiled again, the flush on his cheeks going down a little bit.

A few minutes later, a waitress came to take our orders and then once more we were left alone. I saw Peggy whisper something to Maria and then watched Maria nod vigorously. Peggy spoke up with a grin.

"So, Maria and I are going back to my place after, so John, I wouldn't recommend coming with me. Why don't you and Alex go out somewhere, just the two of you?" She smirked maliciously. In my head I groaned, knowing the plan was to set me and Alex up the whole time, not that I minded.

"What do ya think about that?" I asked him.

Sounds good. What should we do? He signed.

"Mm, it's still early. Wanna go to the movies after?" I asked, saying the first thing that popped into my head. He nodded and I internally cheered. I secretly pulled my phone out under the table and texted Peggy.

John: I'm gonna kill u for this later but thanks for setting alex and me up you hoe 💕

Peggy: np. also i wasn't joking about you coming home. Unless u really want to hear it all..

John: ew. no. thanks for the warning.

I put my phone away and make a gross face at her for implying that her and Maria were gonna do it together. I don't need to know every aspect of her life after all.

We all attacked our food when it arrived and soon enough the bill came and our party was splitting into two halves.

Let's just hope the second half of our date goes as well as the first.