chapter xix.

I HEARD a gunshot ring through the hall and a booming voice echo through the silence from the room I was in. I wiped my tears and put my glass of water down before walking out into the hall.

Simon looked over at me when he saw me get up out of the corner of his eye. "What's going on?" I asked him as I looked through the hall and saw dozens of people crouched on the ground. I looked up and saw Negan, blood and guts covering his leather jacket, Lucille dripping with rotting flesh.

"I'm not dying until I'm damn good and ready." He boomed, his signature sadistic grin plastered on his face. "Everyone, back to work!"

As people moved out of the hall and back to their stations, I made my way down to Negan. He brushed off the organs on his jacket and ordered Dwight to take Gabe to a cell. I wanted to tell Negan to let Gabe stay in a room, but I knew he wouldn't listen.

"Come on, darling. Let's take a hot shower," He coaxed. "I need to wash this shit off of me." He put his arm around my shoulder and lead us to his room.

Once we got to our room, Negan made his way to the bathroom and I collapsed onto the bed and closed my eyes, feeling worn out. I heard the shower start and turned to see the door was open, Negan's head peering through the doorway.

"You gonna join me, sweetheart?" He asked, biting his lip. I chuckled and took the energy I had left to sit up and make my way to the bathroom. He was already in the shower so I undressed and got in after him.

I watched as the walker's blood cascaded down his back and down the drain as he put his fingers through his hair. I put some soap into my hands and lathered it through his hair, getting rid of any blood he missed.

The bandages on my hands started to get uncomfortable as the water soaked through them and the cuts started to burn. After washing his hair, I grabbed a towel and started to wipe any blood that dripped down his jacket.

He turned around and kissed me on the forehead. I smiled, wishing this moment could last and wishing that the world wasn't what it was. I knew Negan was strong, but Rick was ruthless when it came to protecting his people. Maggie had told me about the Governor and the people from Terminus and what Rick did to them.

I was scared for Negan's life, I couldn't lose him. Negan started to rub my shoulders, almost as if he knew what I was thinking and was trying to calm me down.

"It's going to be okay." He told me and I nodded my head, convincing myself that Negan was right.

~

Negan had Simon bring food to our room, knowing that people would only ask questions about the attack. There was a knock on our door so I put my book down and answered it, knowing Negan wouldn't want to be bothered as he was planning. I expected it to be Simon with our food, but it was Eugene.

"Good evening, y/n. I'd like to have a word with Negan." He said and as he did, I heard Negan come up behind me.

"What do you need, Eugene? We're trying to enjoy our night." Negan said, opening the door farther and seeming a bit annoyed.

"I- I just wanted to brief you on a few adjustments that I had in mind if you feel obligated to listen," Eugene said. Since Eugene had been brought to the Sanctuary, he's made himself more useful and more important than he was in Alexandria. I couldn't tell if that was a good thing.