chapter xxii.

NEGAN

I KNEW as soon as I pulled up to the Sanctuary's gates that I should go to y/n first to see if she was okay, but other matters were more pressing. With the current intel I had about Dwight and Simon, I needed to make sure everything was put back in order.

I watched Dwight come around the corner, a burning cigarette hanging from his mouth. With the sound of an all too familiar whistle, he turned. "Surprised to see me?" I asked, swinging Lucille over my shoulder as I moved to ground level.

"I'm not gonna lie, Dwight, it was a real punch to the dick when I got cornered in that basement and none of you showed up."

"Simon thought-" He started, but I cut him off, not wanting to hear it. Dwight took another drag of the cigarette and avoided my eyes as I looked down at him.

"I don't want to know what Simon thought, I wanna know what you were thinking." My tongue glided along my bottom lip as I watched him think. "I need you to remember who you are, Dwight. This talk is just me and you."

He pulled the cigarette from his mouth, flicking the ashes to the ground before speaking. "I thought you would want Simon calling it, he is your number two. And I remember who I am." He dropped the smoke and stomped it out, looking up to me. "I'm Negan."

"Good." I grabbed his shoulder and smiled. "I want you to remember this talk and the things we have and are capable of doing," I told him, patting his shoulder and walking back up the stairs, preparing myself to confront Simon.

"Oh, Negan," Dwight called out as I was almost through the door. I turned, careful as to not hit Lucille on the doorframe. "Congratulations."

Congratulations? "On what?" I asked, and Dwight looked at me expectantly, like I should know why.

"The baby."

I moved through the halls of the Sanctuary faster than I ever had before, frantically looking for Carson's office. I was pissed and elated all at the same time. Why hadn't anyone told me?

I crashed into Carson's office, searching for y/n, but she wasn't there. The entire office was a mess, towels thrown everywhere and y/n's maternity clothes on the floor. I looked in the back office and Carson wasn't there either.

I started to panic, knowing only one other place to check before I was going to flip shit on everyone in the compound. I headed towards our room and hoped that when I opened the door, she would be there.

I heard a baby's crying coming from the other side of the door and felt my heartbeat pick up. I held onto the doorknob, almost scared to open it and meet my newborn son. After a few minutes of standing there in a daze, I could no longer hear the crying.

I took a deep breath and opened the door, y/n's back was facing me as she swayed back and forth with our son in her arms. I could hear her softly humming to calm him down and it was almost enough to make me cry. Lucille dropped to my side and I placed her against the wall and when I looked back up, y/n was facing me.

She smiled up at me, tears threatening to fall. "Do you want to hold him?" She asked me, but my voice was caught in my throat. This wasn't the first time I had held a baby, but this was my baby and he looked so fragile in her arms that I was scared I'd break him.