16: Manal

Throughout the lecture, I could not properly concentrate on what we were being taught. My thoughts kept on drifting to Farida and the way she spoke to me. I had never really seen her that serious before. To think it was our first day in campus. Initially, I thought we would be glued to each other the whole day, but sadly, that had to happen.

Thankfully, the male lecturer was not very observant, otherwise, he would have noticed me.

"That would be all for today. See you all in my next class." The lecturer said, pulling me out of my trance.

I heaved a sigh of relief - thankful that the class had ended. This was not the way I had visioned my first day in class, but well, I made a mental note to be more focused in the next class.

I picked my bag and was about to leave the class, when I sensed someone occupy the seat next to me. At first, I thought it was just a random person, until I heard my name being called.

Farida. She was the only person who called me by the nickname.

I pretended to be oblivious to her presence and stood to leave.

"Mannie" She called again and before I could respond, she also stood and threw her arms around me. "I'm sorry, Mannie. Please don't be mad at me anymore."

I disentangled her arms fr around me and pulled back. "It's fine."

"Liar!" She accused. "I know you too well, Mannie. I know when you're lying and when you're not."

"What did I do to you."

"Nothing." She fiercely shook her head. "Believe me, Mannie; I'm not angry with you. It's Farouq I'm angry with. I just took out my frustrations on you. I shouldn't have. I'm really very sorry, bestie. You know how much I hate it when we fight, right?"

"I felt really sad earlier. I couldn't concentrate on what the lecturer was teaching."

"Me neither." She sneered. "Farouq is a jerk!"

"Hmm..." I hummed and then trailed off. "I didn't know you two were having a misunderstanding. Why did he treat you in that manner earlier?"

She heaved a sigh. "Same old story. Ever since he told me to meet his parents and I refused, his behavior towards me has changed. As if...as if, he is no longer interested in me."

"Don't say that. I'm sure he is that way, because he really loves you. I hope you two resolve your problems soon."

"Duh! If he wants to break up, then fine. I will find a much better person."

"As if you'd be able to bear that." I rolled my eyes.

Farida will always be Farida. She likes to be seen as tough on the outside, while in reality, she's very soft.

"Excuse me." She scrunched up her face. "Farouq is not the only handsome bachelor in this world."

"But he is the only one that has your heart." I stated, matter of factly.

She was about to retort, but I was quick to stop her, by changing the topic. "The next class is in thirty minutes and the venue is quite far. Let's go. I don't want to sit in the back again. Do you have more classes today?"

"Yeah. Departmental. I also need to go to my department and meet some of my course mates."

"Oh! Alright then."

"When will you be through with your class?"

"By 2 '0'clock."

"I should be done by then too. Call me, so we will go back to the hostel together, okay?"