CHAPTER 6

"I'm so tired

"I'm so tired. We've been going around in circles all morning," I complained to Philip, watching him sit there and drink his third cup of coffee. He liked his morning cup of coffee or going on coffee dates, but he kept on doing just that for the past four hours. We'd probably visited around five cafes, and three of which he had decided to order from.

I tried to think from the sentimental side, but Philip had been so random because these were not the usual places we had our coffee dates before. He was probably stress eating again, and I felt bad that I couldn't ease up his burden.

And one important thing was that Keeper was right. I hated to admit it, but I should have really eaten a heavy meal earlier today. It was almost lunch, and all I could think of was finishing that chunk of lasagna that Philip had left on his plate.

We were not that kind of couple before–the sharing type. I only tried eating his leftovers because no one could actually see me, not unless another soul was around. And besides, having died and all this, I could lighten up a bit and try doing the extremes. Because if not now, when else could I have my share of being shameless?

But I was really hungry. The Residential Hall was at least an hour away from here.

Philip checked his phone and replied to a message. With a heavy sigh, he stood up and walked to his car. In a hurry, I got inside the car right when he opened the door. It was funny how I had to squeeze my way in and tumble inside to the passenger seat in order to get around the area without having to walk.

As ghosts, we took up space. We could not pass across walls or anything, much to our inconvenience. Like the way we could actually go through a person, much to our disadvantage, again. Like if I tried to touch Philip or run my hand across his blonde hair to lessen the messy state of it, my hand would just go across as if I was only reaching for air.

In a minute, he got a call on his phone. "Yeah?"

There was a pause.

"I'll be there. No, I'm not that far. I'm on my way."

Another long pause. I wondered what he was hearing on the other line, because he was teary-eyed again.

In a moment, I heard him say, "Look, Jen, there's nothing much we could do at this point. It's driving me insane, too. But... just... there's nothing, Jen."

Oh, I realized he was talking to Jen, my best friend from college. She was actually Philip's childhood friend, which was the reason why we got introduced in the first place. Jen was our matchmaker, which made her the pretty special friend for both us. She was supposed to be my maid of honor if only things didn't turn up like this.

"What time? Yeah, I'll go to her wake tonight. Maybe around eight in the evening. I have some other things to do first. The venue is her parents' house. I'll see you there."

My mom and dad lived four cities away. I mean, they had a nice house and it was spacious enough to hold my wake there. Knowing my mom, she would likely hold it there than have it in a funeral home around here, which could have made it much more convenient for me. But it wasn't as if they would know that I actually became a ghost for several days before moving on.