CHAPTER 2

The following day, I finally went to the Soul Registry Office

The following day, I finally went to the Soul Registry Office. It was mostly because I couldn't sleep. We were supposedly dead, but our daily needs didn't really change that much. Here on the LIGHTS Deck, they said that we would still feel a bit human.

Anyway, it was in the early hours of the morning when I got to the registry office, so there were only a few people around. Aside from those who hurriedly got along with the process, some actually chose to eat and rest. Like it was normal for them to be dead and doing that. I mean, I was mostly in panic and contemplation ever since I got here. Did they really expect us to react so positively after hearing that kind of news?

The LIGHTS Deck officers wore some kind of a uniform around here. It was still in the shade of white. The design closely resembled a pilot's uniform. They even wore name tags with designations.

Her name was Sophie. We were having this conversation for about half an hour now.

"You said that I have to acknowledge that I'm dead and sign my form. What if I don't? What are the other possibilities?" I asked her.

"We're here to help you every step of the way. But first, you need to sign the acknowledgement form. After that, we will proceed with the next step," Sophie patiently explained to me.

"I'm sure there have been cases when people do not sign the form. What happens to them?" I pressed on. Logically speaking, not everyone was so willing to die.

"We're here to let you cope with your death. How do you feel?" she asked me instead.

"Terrible," I simply answered.

She gave me a considerate smile. "Is there any way we can help you?"

"Can you make me alive again? I think that's the only way I can be calm and functional again," I replied.

"I'm afraid we cannot make that happen," she replied.

"Well, after some careful consideration, I realized that I shouldn't be dead. Is there something we can do about that?" I stood by the argument that I'd come up earlier this morning, before going to the registry office. I'd decided that I would persuade them to make me alive again. My dad always told me to fight for what I wanted in life; it was how I'd gotten this far. Well, this time, I wanted to fight for my life.

Sophie paused, and I could tell that she was thinking about what to do with me. After a second, she started typing on her laptop or whatever this flat device they had on their desks. When she was done, she looked up to me and said, "I'll let Mia speak with you. Can you follow me to Level 2?"

"Who's Mia?" I stood up, following her to the door.

"She handles some cases," Sophie vaguely replied.

"Okay," I said.

Sophie opened the door at the back of the office. I had no clue what was on Level 2. All I knew was that Level 1 was all about coping up with your death. The officers here felt like counselors or your favorite shrink. They were patient, never raised their voices, and you could talk to them for as long as you wanted. There was a lady in the chair next to me who detailed out all her life regrets to the officer. I could sense that they were going on about it for hours by the time that I'd arrived here.