CHAPTER 4

Soul Residential

Soul Residential.

I had no idea what to expect of the place. But as the elevator doors slid open, I saw a wide open-plan living room. It only took me one look outside the glass window wall to see that we were not in Lights Deck anymore. The vast meadow was gone. Instead, it was the familiar view of the city that I hadn't seen in a long time.

I had a feeling this place might be closer to home than I could ever guess. And as much as I wanted to verify my location or just rush out of the door, I decided that maybe it was better to just go along and meet the Keeper for now.

"I'll leave you here, then," Mr. A said to me.

"Are you sure this is the right place? I don't see anyone around. Or are they here and I just can't—"

Mr. A laughed again. "No, there's really no one here. Being a soul means you will see your kind and the mortal ones. If they're not here, then they're just somewhere else."

Yeah, they were probably wandering and all that. I asked Mr. A, "So is this place some kind of a dormitory for us?"

"A place that will be your home for the next twenty-seven days," he replied, motioning for me to alight from the elevator. When I stepped on the wooden flooring, I noticed that Mr. A didn't get out; he only waved a hand to me.

"See you around?" I said, just to have some kind of a polite farewell between us. So far, I liked him best out of the people I'd met.

"Likely," Mr. A answered with his ever present smile.

When the elevator door closed, another set of wooden panels covered it. It went well with the earthy theme of this flat. Like the style was modern but make it wood. I got a feeling that it was supposed to let in some warmth into our dead souls.

It did feel that way.

I went down the small staircase, looking around for any signs of the living or dead. When I didn't find any, I walked around the flat. It was located at the rooftop of a building. It was quite fancy in its own comfy way.

"Hello? Is anybody here?" I asked aloud.

There was no response. I checked out the street view below. This was a five-storey building. I wasn't familiar with the neighborhood, but I could see the Harper Tower from afar. My flat was located in that area. I was somehow glad that they didn't bring us to unfamiliar locations, which would definitely decrease the importance of our wishes. Maybe this was the reward for being on the good side of history.

There were about five rooms. I checked out one with an unlocked door. It was unoccupied. There were the basic things like a single bed, a dresser, and a desk. I had a feeling this would be my room. So unless the entire building was meant for souls, then there maybe around five people—well, souls—in this flat.

Of which I couldn't even locate a single one.

"Anyone here? I'm the new face. Some kind of welcome would be nice," I said again, walking down the hall with glass walls. There were several potted plants here that were blissfully enjoying the morning sunshine. They were also watered this morning, so there must be someone in here.