Chapter 24

Chapter 24

June—July 1863

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

In June, the troops of the Army of Northern Virginia began to cross the Potomac and head north, intent on creating damage as they moved west along the Blue Ridge Mountain ranges. Lee's intent was to lure the Union Army to pursue them where they could meet upon the open field, Lee hoping to strike a decisive blow that would end the war. Up to this time, the balance of cunning and luck had been on the side of the South. With God's help, the Confederate leadership agreed, the men in gray would win this coming battle and end the war.

As always, word reached the Army of the Potomac late, but to everyone's surprise, the usually sluggish leadership roused with alarm and prepared their men to march north in pursuit. Nicholas Higgins shook his head in amazement as he watched the provisioning activities swarming about them in preparation for the long haul. "I've never seen any General make such a quick decision on what to do next. Guess our leadership has had the fear of the Lord put in them by Mr. Lincoln—or General Lee."

John Thornton gazed about at his men who were securing their gear for the hard march ahead and thought that their number may be diminished from the battles faced, but those who had survived were hardened into competent and determined soldiers. They had witnessed incompetence and defeat, and did not want to see these again.

As they proceeded north into Pennsylvania, the cherries were ripe in the orchards that they passed, and many a man broke formation to tear off a laden branch and feast upon the fruit, which tasted like manna after Army provisions. They passed farms and small towns, and sometimes abandoned homes where people had fled in fear of impending battles. It was hot and dusty, and the air hummed in anticipation of something to come.

On the third day of their march, a courier brought encouraging news from Vicksburg—the war there was going in favor of the Union. "God bless U.S. Grant," Higgins exclaimed after the courier rode off. "This should lift all of our spirits for what's ahead."

Thornton grunted, and Higgins glanced at him in amusement. The man was as cross as a bear with a thorn in its paw, and had been for the better part of a week. Higgins thought he knew the reason, and remarked, "You've no call to grunt at me—it's not my fault you haven't had a letter from Margaret."

Thornton glanced down at his companion in surprise and a small smile softened his harsh features. "Get out of my head, Higgins."

Higgins snorted. He knew that Captain Thornton was besotted with his wife; he had quietly observed Thornton patting at his breast pocket several times a day, and through careful observation had learned that Thornton had sewn a pocket on the inside of his uniform jacket just large enough to carry his wife's letters. No matter the depressing inactivity of the day or the aching loneliness that came with nightfall, when he reached his hand into his jacket and touched the folded parchments next to his heart, he felt a warmth steal over him. Margaret was near, in her stories and her strictures, and the Army could not take her away from him. She was home, waiting for him; he could face anything knowing she waited at the end of whatever long road lay before him.

It had been three weeks since he had received a letter from her, and it chafed him not knowing how she fared. Her letters brought her so close to him that he swore he could smell her perfume and hear the light sound of her inhalation. What had happened to stay her hand? Had she fallen ill or had some misfortune importuned her? Although he was proud of the work she did for Dr. Donaldson, he nursed a tight kernel of fear that she might contract some noxious disease. He did not know how he could carry on if anything should happen to take her from him.