Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Trudy Brasure

Chapter 3

Williamsburg, Virginia

1859

It was several months before the Hales left on their journey to Lovell. Early in December, Mrs. Hale contracted a fever and putrid cold and was bedridden for several months. Their family surgeon declared that she was too ill for an extended carriage trip. Mr. Hale’s church duties also stretched out over these bleak winter months as it took considerably longer than anticipated for his replacement to travel to Williamsburg to assume his duties.

As a result of this delay, the Hale family spent a quiet Christmas in Williamsburg. Unlike previous years, they held no open house for parishioners. Most church families avoided them, unwilling to raise the subject of Mr. Hale’s breach with the church. Aunt Shaw, having finally received Margaret’s letter informing the family of their migration north, was furious and disapproving. Her letter had sent Mrs. Hale into a marked decline, and cast a pall over the entire household. Margaret might have been angry at her aunt’s implacable resentment and ready to defy her, but Mrs. Hale took her sister’s words to heart, and Mr. Hale was too cast down to attempt to counter the tenor of her letter.

Therefore, it fell upon Margaret to decorate the house and prepare for their Christmas celebration, such as it would be. She enlisted the help of Jessamy and Tansy to help her make up the baskets for the impoverished families of the parish. Since Mr. Hale’s replacement had not yet arrived, he was expected to conduct the business of the church, and this he did with the bravest front possible. However, he shrank from any ancillary duties that involved him dealing directly with his parishioners. In instances of illness or death, he remained a pillar of support; however, for day-to-day church issues, he deferred to his daughter. It was Margaret who explained endless times as politely as she could her father’s reasons for leaving the parish. Some of their visitors were astonished, others angry, still others somewhat sympathetic; however, none understood. She gave up trying to justify her father’s actions, merely thanking each visitor for his or her kindness and wishing each well.

In February, a renter was found for their home: a young lawyer from Richmond was taking up his practice in Williamsburg, and needed a spacious house for his wife and young children. Mr. Hale was quite taken with him, and all of the proper paperwork was executed.  Preparations for moving were truly underway.

On a cold morning in February, when the drizzle threatened to turn to snow, Margaret and Mr. Hale were in his library sorting through the final selection of books to ship to Massachusetts. As Margaret feared, Mr. Hale’s desired shipments were larger than the household goods they planned to take. She was coaxing him to reconsider when a knock on the door interrupted their spirited discussion.

Isaac, their butler, peered around the door frame. “May I have a word with you, Mr. Hale?” he asked politely.