{cabinet meeting two}

"The issue we have gathered here to discuss is France being on the verge of war with England and if we provide aid and our troops to our French allies or if we stay out of it. My decision on this matter is not subject to congressional approval. The only person you have to convince is me. Secretary Jefferson, your words, sir." Washington presented. Ellis closed her eyes. She should've stayed at home. Two-year-old Aceline was there with Eliza and twelve-year-old Philip. Ellis had received a letter from Lafayette, that he had been injured in a battle and that was the reason for his absence. Ellis had accepted his explanation and they got back onto a regular correspondence. Ellis was obviously happier with it, but she still wasn't her best. She just wanted Lafayette there with her. 

     In the last letter, he asked to marry her when he felt the war was ending. She sent back a lengthy letter on why she would marry him when he came back. His daughter needed him anyway. "When we were on death's door when we were needy," Ellis was brought back to focus on Thomas Jefferson's sharp voice. She kept going out of focus and it wasn't healthy. "We made a promise, we signed a treaty. We needed money and guns and half a chance. Who provided those funds?" Everyone went silent at his words. They all knew it and thought it. France. 

     "In return, they didn't ask for land. Only a promise that we'd lend a hand and stand with them if they fought against oppressors and revolution is messy but now's our time to stand." Murmurs in agreement broke out. "Stand with our brothers as they fight against tyranny. I know that Alexander Hamilton and Ellis Jameson are here and they would rather not have this debate." What was he doing? "I'll remind you that none of them are secretary of state!" Thomas exclaimed. Ellis was hurt. She had done nothing to provoke this. "Objection!" Ellis called. "I have nothing to do with this." Washington looked up to her and nodded. "Sustained." 

     Thomas shot her a look before he continued. "Hamilton, however, knows nothing of loyalty. Smells like new money dresses like fake royalty. Desperate to rise above his station. Everything he does betrays the ideals of our nation." He turned away to walk back to his seat. "And if you don't know, now you know, Mr. President." 

     "Thank you, Secretary Jefferson," Washington concluded. He checked over his parchment. Thomas had given him practically nothing, mostly insults aimed at Hamilton. "Secretary Hamilton, your response." 

     "You must be out of your goddamn mind if you think the President is going to bring the nation to the brink of meddling in the middle of a military mess. A game of chess, where France is Queen and Kingless." Ellis, at that very moment, hated Hamilton. She hated that she would have to endure a carriage ride back home with him. "We signed a treaty with a King whose head is now in a basket, would you like to take it out and ask it? 'Should we honor our treaty, King Louis' head?'" Ellis scoffed. "'Uh, do whatever you want, I'm super dead!'" 

     Chaos broke out. People shouted that either Hamilton was right or that Jefferson was right. Many did it out of spite due to the answers that were given. "Enough!" Washington's voice broke out. "Hamilton is right." Ellis was shocked. "Mr. President!" Jefferson called. "We're too fragile to start another fight." Ellis stood. "But sir," attention was drawn to her immediately. She ignored the glaring eyes and continued, "Do we not fight for freedom?" She made her way down to where the men stood. The others in the room continued glaring. "Sure," he answered, "when the French figure out who's going to lead them." Ellis nearly growled. "The people are leading!" She exclaimed. "The people are rioting," Washington cut her off. "There's a difference. Frankly, it's a little disquieting you would let your ideals blind you both to reality." He turned to Hamilton, who had been sat quietly. "Hamilton!" He called. "Draft a statement of neutrality." 

     Washington left the room and everyone else followed. The only people that remained were Jefferson, Hamilton, and Ellis. "Have you an ounce of regret?" Ellis questioned. "What?" Hamilton dumbly asked back. His own friend had held a harsh undertone in her voice. "You accumulate debt, you accumulate power yet in their hour of need you forget." Jefferson confronted. "Lafayette's a smart man, he'll be fine. Before he was your friend he was mine. If we try to fight in every revolution in the world, we never stop. Where do we draw the line?" 

     "Lafayette is my fiancee and the father of my child, Alexander!" Ellis shot at him. She was sharp when she needed to be and rarely got mad. This left Alexander speechless. She was never like this around him. He doesn't actually recall the last time Ellis had gotten truly mad. By the time Alexander had found his voice, Jefferson took it upon himself to speak, "And someone outta remind you." 

     "What?" 

     "You're nothing without Washington behind you." Jefferson spat. Ellis would've usually defended Alexander, but this time she didn't. She sat to the side as she watched Washington pop his head back in and call, "Hamilton!"

     Alexander looked back at Ellis, helpless. "Daddy's calling," Jefferson mocked before pulling Ellis with him to an exit. 

{edited}

-----

so in the next chapter, keep in mind that aceline will be five and philip will be sixteen (if my math is correct). the next chapter is skipping to "the adams administration"...

 they're growing up so fast. too fast.