3

i heard my phone go off, and i walked over to it. it was from joey. i pressed the home button and unlocked my phone

joey - i'll be at your house at 6:50

i quickly responded an okay. i then set my phone back down. so joeys giving me a ride to school today.. interesting. i looked at the clock and saw it was 6:40. i had 10 minutes until joey was about to be here.

i finished straightening my hair and then turned it off and set it back down. i grabbed a pair of high socks and grabbed my phone off the charger. i turned the lights off then walked out of my room. i walked downstairs and saw my mom rushing around the kitchen.

"what's wrong?" i asked.

"nothing, i just need to take cameron to the day care and then get to work as quickly as possible." she said. i nodded and grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl.

"aren't you supposed to be leaving right now?" she asked.

"yeah, but joeys giving me a ride to school." i said.

"well, that's nice of him." she said, i nodded.

i heard grayson come downstairs, and he sat down next to me.

"well, i'll see you two later." she said before kissing each of us on the head

"the birlems are coming over for dinner tonight, dress nice when i come home." she said and grayson and i nodded.

"and could you guys try cleaning up around the house?" she asked.

"fine." grayson and i groaned. i watched as my mom picked up cameron, then walked towards the door.

"thanks, have a great day you two." she said and opened the door. i saw joey standing there, just about to ring the doorbell.

"hey sweetheart, come on in." she said and left the door open enough for joey to come in.

"hey bab-oh, hey grayson." joey said as he walked in closed the door.

"hey." grayson said.

"you want something to eat?" i asked. joey shook his head no and sat down next to me.

"what are you doing here?" grayson asked.

"i'm giving your sister a ride to school." joey said.

"oh." grayson said and looked at me.

"stop it." i said and grayson laughed.

"i think it's true." grayson said.

"what's true?" joey asked.

"nothing." i said finishing my apple, and throwing away the core.

"ready?" i asked and grabbed my bag.

"yeah." joey said.

"you okay here by yourself?" i asked grayson. he nodded.

"alright, i'll see you later." i said and walked out the door with joey. we walked over to his pearly white car and got in.

"i've been getting texts from random people all night asking if we were dating." he said.

"that's weird." i said.

"yeah, i didn't respond." he chuckled. why would people text him if we were dating? why do people even care?

-

when we got to school, joey pulled into his parking spot and we got out. he intertwined our hands together and i took a shaky breath.

only a few people were staring at us now, but once we get closer, a lot of people are going to start staring. i licked my lips and looked at the ground.

"don't do that, people are going to think you're avoiding eye contact on purpose." he said.

"i am."

"well don't do it." he said.

"geez, your bossy." i said.

"i learned from the best." he said. i glared at him and he gave me a small smirk.

"are you going to gatens party friday?" i asked.

"i was thinking about going, why?" he asked.

"because he invited me, audrey, and the rest of the girls." i said.

"i didn't know you two were friends.." joey said.

"we aren't. i don't know why he randomly invited me to his party." i said.

"he probably wants to get in your pants." he said.

"great." i said sarcastically.

"i'll kill him if he comes anywhere near you." he said, clenching his jaw. joey always been a little protective of me. but sometimes he's a little bit too protective.

"was he flirting with you?" joey asked.

"i don't really remember, but i don't think so." i said.

"good. tell me if he does." joey said.

we got to my locker, and i hung my bag on the locker hook.

"so, are you going to go?" i asked.

"only if you'll be my date." he said.

"dates? you don't need dates to go to a party."

"i know, but tori and gaten are sort of friends, so i'll imagine she'll be there." he said.

"fine." i said and ran a hand through my hair. i felt him place a hand on my butt, i smacked it off.

"seriously?" i said.

"here comes tori."

"don't touch my butt." i said. joey chuckled and put it back on.

"joey!" i snapped.

"wow, someone's feisty today." joey said with a grin

"wow, look at this." a high pitcher voice said. i rolled my eyes at the sound of tori's voice. i can't stand being around her for a minute, how could joey spend nights with her? i don't get it.

"i wasn't sure of the rumors, but i guess they are true." tori said.

"the new skank of derry high." she said and fake smiled at me.

"what did you just call me?" i hissed.

"babe, calm down." joey said. i crossed my arms over my chest.

"tori don't start something, not with avery." he said.

"wow, protective over her too.. you must really like her jojo." tori said.

"don't call me that." he said

"oh, come on jojoo." she said and grabbed his hand. he ripped his hand out of her grip.

"don't touch me tori, we're over if you didn't know." he said.

"you might as well leave." i said. tori scoffed and glared at me before leaving.

i hate her.

"holy shit avery, it's working."