22

"hey mom," i said as i walked into the room and sat in the chair by her bed. she was still out cold, but i still liked to talk to her. it's not weird. she could be listening. i grabbed her hand and squeezed it. it's been about a week since the accident. "please wake up," i whispered.

i felt a tear drop down my cheek, dammit i'm crying again. i quickly wiped it away, i didn't want to cry, and i hated crying. it made me look weak. and i couldn't look weak, i needed to be strong. i needed to be strong for my mom.  

"honey," i heard someone say from behind me. "go home it's late, get some sleep," it was jen. "it's almost one."

"i'm going to stay here for the night."  

"where's cameron and grayson?" she asked.  

"with ashley," i replied. "i wouldn't want to sleep in my house alone"

"go home, sweetheart," she insisted. "you need your sleep."

i shook my head. "i need to stay here, with her."

"avery, come on," she urged and tried to grab my arm.  

"no, jen please," i mumbled and continued to hold my mom's hand. "i'm sorry but, i need to stay."

she sighed. "i'm going to be right back, don't go anywhere," she walked out and i looked back at my mom. 

"don't make her take me away from you. i don't want to leave you," i whispered. "i love you a lot, and you're the best mom in the entire world," i wish she could respond. i wish she could talk to me, because i miss her like crazy.  

"hey," a husky low voice said from behind me. "you need to come home," of course jen would call him, but how'd he get here so quickly?

i felt a warm hand on my back. "joey," i breathed.  

"it's okay," he slowly rubbed my back and sat in the chair next to me.  

"what are you doing here?" i asked. 

"i came to get you," he claimed. "you need to go home."

"i don't want too," i huffed. "i need stay here."

"you need sleep, and ill take you back here tomorrow," he said. "dont you want to sleep in your own bed?" he asked. i licked my lips. that does sound nice. 

"even if i did want to go home, i don't have my car," i explained. "i took a cab here."

"i'll take you home," his voice was deep. i bit my lip as he grabbed my elbow. "come on," i looked back at my mom before grabbing my coat, and walking out the door.  

"you actually got her out," jen smiled. joey nodded and draped an arm around me.  

"i think she's tired," joey remarked.  

"i think so too," she agreed. "lisa, this is my son joey and this is his best friend, avery, her mom's in 243."

"oh dear, i'm so sorry," lisa said.  

"thank you," i said quietly. 

joey and i sat down in the lobby chairs. i rested my head on his shoulder as he and lisa began to talk. he really was good with people. i felt him snake his arm around my waist; he began to rub my side, and stuck a hand under a tiny bit of my shirt and started to rub the exposed skin. was he doing this on purpose? or was he just doing this on accident?  

"you're really tired, huh," joey whispered in my ear. i nodded my head and stood up. i stretched a little and joey chuckled. "come on, ill take you home," he said. "nice to meet you lisa," joey shot her his million dollar smile.  

"you as well joey," she waved. joey grabbed my wrist, and pulled me towards the door. 

"don't pull me," i grumbled.  

"oh you like it," he grinned and pushed open the doors. we walked over towards the elevators and i sighed. i rubbed my eyes and tried to open them wider. joey chuckled. he put an arm around me and patted his shoulder.  

"no, i need to stay awake," i said. he tried to push my head down. "stop joey," i whined.  

"just trying to help," he said.  

"press the button," i ordered.

he chuckled and pressed the button. "you're bossy when you're tried."

"it's nothing new," i shrugged.  

"true," he said and the doors opened. 

there were at least four people in the elevator. we walked in and i leaned on the back wall and rested my head. i closed my eyes for a second, but felt the elevator come to a quick stop. i groaned and opened my eyes. i saw that more people were getting into the elevator. it was super crowded now. what are so many people doing here this late at night? i looked up at joey and he was scrolling through instagram. i rested my head on his shoulder, and i felt him wrap an arm around me again.  

"carry me," i said and he chuckled.

"you have legs," he said sarcastically, not picking his head up from his phone.  

"carry me," i repeated. the doors opened and everyone walked out.  

"how about a piggy back ride," he suggested, slipping his phone into his pocket. i nodded and jumped on his back. i wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head on his shoulder. "you're lucky you have such a good friend."

"yeah, yeah," i tiredly said and closed my eyes.