How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 14

Chapter 14. Who Stole the Tarts?

The days following Mrs. Hale's death and Fred's departure from Milton were filled with sad activity and too much time for contemplation, as far as Meg was concerned. She was deeply thankful for the presence of Mr. Bell, who served as a source of great comfort to her father. They spent many hours in Mr. Hale's study, and Mr. Bell did what he could to elevate Mr. Hale's thoughts from his ongoing obsession that his family's removal to Milton helped to hasten his wife's death.

Meg sent word to Doctor Donaldson that it might be a week before she returned to the clinic. He wrote back telling her to take whatever time she needed to assist her father and grieve her mother; he would be glad to welcome her back when she felt it was time to return. Besides, he informed her, Nicholas Higgins was working out very well in his new capacity at the clinic, and might be willing to assist the doctor, with some guidance and instruction. Meg would be deeply missed, but he would carry on without her for as long as was necessary.

The day of her mother's funeral dawned gray and chilly, and it was a small party that made up the mourners at the church. Meg sat between her father and Mr. Bell. She was touched to see Doctor Donaldson seated behind her, and Nicholas and Mary seated several pews back. Doctor Donaldson placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, and she turned to him with a silent look of gratitude for his supporting presence.

She felt less grateful to see the Thornton family arrive and seat themselves across the aisle from her father. Mr. Thornton spoke his condolences in gentle tones to her father, and greeted Mr. Bell, but said nothing to her. He would not meet her gaze, and Meg knew her tryst at the rail yard was fresh in his mind. He must suspect the worst of her. She went hot and cold as she contemplated the light in which he viewed the incident. She was relieved when the vicar rose and stepped into the pulpit, forcing her to turn her thoughts to the funeral service.

From the corner of his eye, Mr. Thornton studied Meg's pure profile. She was so lovely, he thought regretfully. It was difficult to believe that this slim, grave girl in black was the same wanton woman he had seen at the train station, in the arms of a strange man. He felt a black rage as he remembered seeing her soft arms around the stranger's neck as she had kissed and embraced him.

He could not reconcile that woman with the one who sat across from him now. She wore a black mantilla over a black bonnet, and it made her skin appear to be made of ivory. Her blue eyes were red-rimmed from crying, but she appeared calm now, holding her father's hand in her lap. She was seated between Mr. Hale and Mr. Bell, and Mr. Thornton found his eyes often strayed across the aisle of the church to see how the service affected her.

She did not cry, but appeared composed, as if emptied of emotion. As he glanced at her pure profile yet again, he saw Mr. Bell take her hand and pull it through the crook of her arm, and she settled her head momentarily upon his shoulder. Mr. Thornton felt a wild, strong yearning-if only he might have the right to sit next to her, to feel her soft hand in his and the weight of her head upon his shoulder. But he did not have that right-she had rejected his proposal of marriage.

He remembered the events of that day clearly and although hurt, was puzzled as well. She had told him no, but her eyes were at war with her words. She had looked at him with a warmth and regret that belied her rejection, and made it hard for him to believe that she did not care for him. The day of the riot, her relief at his wellbeing had found expression in exclamations of gladness and tears. How could she act that way and not care for him? Perhaps she did care, but was afraid to act on her emotions.

He looked at her again, and envisioned her once more in the arms of the stranger at the train station. His hope died, and he abruptly turned from her to study the pulpit in front of him. It was apparent to him now that her heart belonged to the man at the Outwood Station.