How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 18

Chapter 18. Wool and Water

It was decided that Dixon would accompany Mr. Hale and his daughter to Oxford to act as a lady's companion to Meg. They closed up the house in Crampton for several weeks, and Dixon asked Mary if she would check in occasionally to ensure that all was well in their absence. When Meg told Doctor Donaldson of her impending travels, he replied that he was glad she was going, and ordered her to enjoy her time in Oxford. "You deserve a holiday and a change of scenery after all that you have been through the last few months," he said sagaciously.

Nicholas and Mary wished Meg good travels, telling her that, although they would miss her dreadfully, they would be eager to hear stories of her grand trip to Oxford and the colleges upon her return. "After all," Nicholas said roguishly, "We will be looking for a school for our scholar, Tommy, some day."

Mr. Hale had fretted that he should let Mr. Thornton know of their departure, so Meg urged him to leave a letter with Nicholas, who could deliver it to Mr. Thornton at the mill. She had no desire to meet Mr. Thornton before leaving for Oxford, not in her current vulnerable state. At the wedding breakfast, when her eyes met his, she felt as if she stood before him naked, letting him know all of how she felt. She feared he had seen the love and longing in her gaze; she knew he had seen something by the way his eyes kindled and his brows rose. She said a fervent prayer of thanks for Fanny's interruption that allowed her to slip away with her father. Informing Mr. Thornton of their departure by letter rather than in person seemed the most expeditious, if cowardly, means to tell him of their absence from Milton.

Within twenty-four hours of receiving Mr. Bell's letter, all three intrepid travelers were settled on the train and wending their way to Oxford. Meg had moved heaven and earth to sort things out so that she and her father could be on the train within one day of receiving Mr. Bell's invitation. Each appeared lost in their thoughts as they rumbled along in their train compartment. Mr. Hale was anxious and excited simultaneously; he had been away from Oxford for so very long, he did not know if he would recognize it, he confided to Meg. Dixon was happy to be away from the fogs and smoke, and endless chores to be done at the house in Crampton.

For her part, Meg was relieved to be away from Mr. Thornton for a time. She felt drawn to him, and luck seemed to derive ways to place him in her path. He was dangerous, and she could feel her resolve to maintain her distance slip a bit more each time she was in his presence. Some time apart from him would help her regain perspective and think clearly.

If only she knew what was ahead, she thought in desperation. Perhaps Mr. Hale would decide that he wanted to live in Oxford again. He had so many fond memories of this venerable city, and had told Meg numerous stories of his studies and adventures while he had been there. If he were surrounded by his friends and academic pursuits, he might not be as dependent on his daughter. Meg might be able to return to Milton-and slip back to her own time.

Only one incident clouded their pleasant journey. As he searched for his glasses to read, Mr. Hale found his letter to Mr. Thornton in the breast pocket of his jacket. He had forgotten to give it to Nicholas. He anxiously fretted that Mr. Thornton would be offended if he came to call and did not find them at home, but Meg soothed his anxieties, assuring him that Nicholas or Mary would explain their absence, and that he could mail the letter to Mr. Thornton upon their arrival.

When the travelers reached Oxford, they were delighted to see signs of spring evident in the fields and gardens. The flowering trees were budding, and Meg rejoiced to feel a hint of softness in the clean, fresh air. No smoke or fog marred the skies, and small clouds mottled the blue heavens.

Mr. Bell met them at the station, and was delighted to see that Meg had indeed accompanied her father. "Meg, you've come," he called out, a look of delight on his face as he embraced his old friend Mr. Hale. "And you've brought Dixon," he said cordially, nodding to the servant standing behind Meg. "We are but a short carriage ride from my lodgings-I can offer you tea, and then settle you into the inn where I have procured rooms for your stay. I am sorry that my own rooms are entirely too small to accommodate all of you. How lucky that I guessed you would come with your father, Meg-I arranged for an entire suite of rooms for you so that you would be comfortable while you are here."