How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 23

Chapter 23. Which Dreamed It?

As Meg tumbled into the parlor, she heard a dreadful crash. For one moment, she feared she had broken yet another mirror, and struggled to clear her head. I hope I never have the need to go through a mirror again, she prayed fervently.

She felt a cold wetness spread up her backside and realized she was sitting in a puddle of water. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she saw that she had knocked a large vase of flowers off the small table that sat beneath the mirror. The vase had shattered, water soaked the floor and carpet, and flowers were strewn about the room. She stood up carefully and began gathering the flowers in her arms when she heard a heavy tread coming up the stairs from the kitchen. Moments later, the door to the parlor was thrust open and Dixon entered, holding a poker from the kitchen fireplace, her nightcap askew on her head.

"Who is it?" the servant asked sharply. "I warn you, I'm armed."

"Dixon," Meg said softly, "It's me."

Dixon lowered the poker and stepped forward carefully. Her jaw dropped open in surprise. "Miss Meg, is that you?" The poker slipped from her fingers and clanged to the floor as Dixon stared at her. "Goodness, what are you doing here at this time of night? I thought you were on your way to Spain!" She bustled forward to hug her young mistress. Meg returned the hug, crushing the flowers between two of them so that they fell to the floor once more.

"Dear Dixon, I found that I could not go to Spain-I changed my mind at Portsmouth before the ship sailed, and arranged my return trip to Milton. My life is here," Meg replied quietly.

Dixon grunted. "That still does not explain why you have arrived in the middle of the night-gracious, miss! It must be 2:00 in the morning!" Dixon stepped away from her and surveyed the damage. She groped about and lit a lamp on the sideboard. Looking Meg over from head to toe, she frowned. "Goodness, Miss Meg, where did you get those clothes? Never tell me that is the fashion in London now!"

Meg looked down at herself and noted with surprise that she still wore the navy suit she had worn in 1920. "It-it is from Paris, Dixon," Meg explained. "Edith says it is the latest fashion."

"It looks indecent to me," Dixon sniffed, "Why, I can see your entire shape! Come, we should get you off to bed, you can tell me all about your travels in the morning." She looked expectantly about the room. "Where is your valise?"

Thinking quickly, Meg explained, "I-I left it behind at the train station. I will fetch it in the morning." Meg paused before she asked, "Dixon, what is today?"

"Pardon me, miss?" Dixon looked at her blankly.

"How long have I been gone?" Meg asked entreatingly.

"You've been away nearly two months, as you well know," Dixon exclaimed with asperity.

I will never understand how time works, Meg thought in exasperation, but she was too grateful to be back in Milton in relatively the same time period as when she left, and too overwhelmed by all that had happened to complain.

"It is time for you to go to bed-you are not quite yourself," Dixon ordered. "I will clean up this mess in the morning. Come!" she exclaimed as she picked up the lamp and led the way up the stairs. Meg found herself being hustled into the room that had been her mother's. "It's a good thing I took the liberty of moving your things into your mother's room-I thought I might have to have it ready at a moment's notice for your return. It did not seem right for you to continue to sleep in that tiny room in the attic! You are mistress of the house now, and deserve the best bedroom."

Meg was touched by Dixon's thoughtfulness, and looked about the room in delight. Her bed and furniture looked dwarfed in the larger room, but it felt welcoming nonetheless. Dixon watched Meg's pleased glance with a small, secretive smile on her face. Her girl was home again, and all would be right once more. She had been uneasy when Doctor Donaldson could not answer her questions about how long Miss Meg intended to stay in Spain, and feared she might plan on making her home there. Dixon had no desire to live in a foreign country, and was torn as to what she should do if Meg chose not to come home. Dixon was also somewhat miffed that Meg had not asked her to come along on her travels, but all was forgiven now that she was home.