Chapter 14 - Worth It All

•Sherlock's POV•

I wanted to hold John, hug him tight, tell him it'll be okay. I wanted to squeeze his hand, kiss his cheek for comfort. But I couldn't. Not where people can see.

"Mrs. Hudson," I stood up, turning to face the small and frail-looking woman, "Is John okay to come back to his dorm to sleep?"

"Er, yes, sure. Just take the bucket," Mrs. Hudson advised, waving us off with a-- was that a wink?

I shrugged it off and helped John up, giving him a moment to retch a bit, before helping him to 221B. Mary helped on John's other side, until she left into her own dorm.

I laid John down on his bed gently, bringing him his ice pack. He held it gingerly to one cheek, before moving it to the other side, then his eyes, and so on. I felt so bad for him - he looked like he was in so much pain...

I tapped my toes on the floor angrily. I swear, I will KILL them for this--!

"Sherlock," John coughed lightly.

"Yes, John?"

"What you said...in the infirmary..." He wheezed, collecting his breath, "Did you really mean it?"

I sighed. I did, I really did. I hadn't realized it until now, but having John take a brush with death, I realize how much I need him, here, with me. My Fruitcake John. We've only known each other for about a week, and he hasn't done much, but somehow John means so much to me.

So bloody much.

"Sherlock...did you?" John pressed.

"Yes," I looked at him, embarrassed as I noticed how much of my emotions were spilling over the edge, "You mean so much to me, John. I don't know why, or how, but...John I...I think..."

He strained as he fixed himself to a sitting position, "You...what?"

"I think I'm in love with you, John."

John's eyebrows raised just a little, surprise and disbelief flickering in his ocean eyes, "Y-You are?"

"Completely, utterly, totally in love with you," I sighed, head hung.

"You're actig like that's a bad thing."

"It is!" I shouted, angry with myself, "I was supposed to get you away from me! I'm dangerous, I'm a ticking time bomb! The Club only hates you because you know me! This...it's all MY FAULT!"

John brought up a shaking hand to brush my cheek, "No...it's not."

"It is. I'm causing you this pain, for my own selfish needs."

"You think I don't want you too?!" John coughed after raising his voice, "Dear GOD you are thick! Sherlock, you're fascinating, new, exciting, and God...you are ATTRACTIVE. Sherlock I know it's been a week, I know I haven't known you long but...I love you. I love you so much."

Those words hit me like a brick. I felt like a delicate glass pane, and John had just thrown a rock at me, breaking me to pieces. I wanted to cry with happiness, but also, remorse. John would only get himself hurt with me. I should break it off now.

But I can't. He means too much to me.

I pulled him in for a delicate and gentle kiss. I could taste blood and a bit of vomit - which was NOT nice - but I didn't care. Never has one kiss meant so much. I wanted to press harder, deepen it, show John just how much he means to my world, but I knew that would hurt him. His face is pretty expertly beaten in.

Plus, this is better. Having him here, so gently, so wholeheartedly, pressed against me, near me...as much as sex would be nice, this I like. A lot.

I pulled away and held John in my arms, protecting him from nothing and everything at the same time. If they hurt him again, I really will kill them, then and there. And I don't care. They'll die at my hands if they touch him again.

My John will never be hurt like this again, not on my watch.

We curled up on John's bed contentedly, his spine digging into my ribs, our legs interwined into a giant inseperable knot. His hands were crossed in front of his chest, mine wrapped around him like a suit of armor. His shield.

John's worth it all. All to me.

**YAY FLUFF

So I'm tired and sick and I feel like death so good night.

I'll say...Next chapter, MORE FLUFF, then MORE FLUFF, then MORE FLUFF (I see a pattern) then I'll do some smut. How's that?!!

Yeyeyyeyeyyeyeyyeeyy

Remember, y'all just keep being y'all!

XOXO, Garnent•.•**