rockabye •seventeen

...

What were the chances that Mal listened to Ariel about staying behind? Slim to none, that's what it is. And there she was now, walking over the the crowd of people around her boyfriend, his daughter, and his ex. The crowd split to let Mal through and she saw Ben holding Athena. The small child tilted Ben's crown to the side as a joke. Ben chuckles and turns his head to see Mal. He motions her over and smiles.

"Mal." Ben says. Athena's giggling stops and moves around in Ben's arms uncomfortably. In truth, she was afraid of Mal. She heard story about Maleficent and Maleficent was bad. Serena notices her daughter's sudden change, rubs Athena's back soothing to calm her down. Ben looks at Athena and smiles.

"Say "hi", Athena." Ben says but Athena hide her face on Ben's shoulder. Mal's own express turns annoyed and everyone started to notice that. It was awkward and Serena hated that so she spoke first.

"How are you, Mal?" Serena asks sincerely, though Mal thought she was being snarky. Mal didn't respond, but did give a fake smile.

"Mama, can we go?" Athena asks from Ben's shoulder and it came out all muffled when she said it. Serena's eyes leave Mal and onto her daughter. Mal puts on a fake happy smile.

"Are you two enjoying the party?" Mal asks Serena and Athena. Athena didn't answer and only hid more as possible. Serena looks up and nods.

"Uh, yeah...Queen Leah's parties are always so extravagant. I always feel so out of place."

"But you must be use to them, right? Being a princess and all and having everything you could want at your feet." Mal says bitterly but passes it on as nice as she could. Serena didn't know how to answer, but answer nonetheless.

"Well, I don't think—" Serena was cut off by Mal.

"You are really the most loved person in all of Auradon, Serena." Mal says bluntly.

"That's not tru—" Mal cuts her off again.

"You are, though."

"That's not true. I'm sure someone out there thinks I'm annoying and just spoiled." Serena claims. Mal let's out a fake chuckle. Athena raises her head and looks at her mama.

"I love you, mama. You're not annoying to me." Athena announces. Serena smiles and plants a kiss on Athena's brown hair. The crowd awed and smiles at the warm moment, but Mal.

"All you need is the approval of our adorable Princess Athena and you are set." Ben says happily.

"Everyone loves you for your goodness!" Mal says loudly to get the attention back on her. "I mean—Am I right?" Mal asks the crowd. They all agreed in sync making Serena blush a little. Mal looks back at her then to Ben. "Well— I guess not everyone."

A few people gasp in shock of Mal's words. Serena looks at Ben in embarrassment. Ben's mouth opens and closes like a fish, obviously shock that his girlfriend said such a thing. Their relationship was a touch subject and it's now just a reminder of how the good nature between Ben's parents and Serena's whole family will never be the same. A look of hurt hit Serena and she looked down at the ground.

For some reason that make Mal feel better, humiliating Serena. But the deed was done.

"We should go." Serena speaks finally. Before Ben could protest, she grabs Athena from his arms and holds her on hers. Athena in no way objected, seeing how Mal had hurt her Mama's feeling. Ben went to grab Serena's forearm to stop her, but Mal grabs his hand and holds it into her, almost possessively.

Serena stalks away with Athena, back to her mother and father.

The crowd soon dissolved, leaving Ben and Mal alone. Mal was satisfied that this ended, but when looking at Ben's face, there was not a smile.

"Ben, what's up?" Mal asks.

"Why did you do that, Mal?" Ben answers with a question.

"Do what?" Mal asks innocently. Ben looks at her with a frown.

"Why did you that? Especially in front of Athena."

"Because you don't." Mal answers. She looked into Ben's eyes to see there was any truth to it. His eyes didn't falter.

"Maybe not in a romantic way, but she's my friend." Ben says. Mal could see him telling the truth, but the word maybe that he threw in only caused her a bit of jealousy. Maybe. Why did he have to add maybe? Not in a romantic way would have been enough, but no. He added maybe. And what about Serena? Who's to she wasn't maybe still in love with Ben? Mal snaps out of her thoughts when she felt herself being shaken. It was Ben trying to get her attention.

"Mal, are you okay?" Ben asks when he notices Mal dozing off. She saw worry in his eyes as they started at each other.

"I—I don't... know." Mal answers completely unsure of herself.

"Well what you said was not cool, Mal. What did Serena do to you for you to act this way?"

"Nothing. I was jealous, I guess." Mal mutters. "I'm just scared of losing you to her, considering your past together." Mal confesses. Ben's face softens at her words and pulls her into a hug

"You will not lose me." Ben whispers. Mal hugs back and peers over his shoulder. She saw many people staring at her... some not so happy stares.

BAD CHAPTER, I KNOW!

THIS CHAPTER WAS ORIGINALLY 1,251 WORDS LONG BUT I DECIDED TO CUT IT.

IN THE BOOK FOR FUTURE CHAPTERS, I HAVE CREATED A NEWSLETTER IN AURADON CALLED "BLUE AND YELLOW". IT'S NOT MUCH, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOMEPLACE THAT WILL WRITE THE GOSSIP.

IF YOU HAVE IDEAS FOR GOSSIP THAT YOU THINK WILL GO GREAT IN THIS BOOK, YOU CAN SHARE THEM WITH ME AND WE CAN TALK ABOUT THEM. AND, OF COURSE IF I USE THEM, YOU WILL GET CREDIT.