chapter fifteen

The drive to his office was only thirty minutes but felt like hours to him.He was exhausted, both physically and mentally.

He parked his car at the garage and gathered enough strength to get out. A guard approached him as he was going inside.

"Hello sir."

"Hey."

"Did you forget something in your office? If so I can go get it for you."

"That won't be necessary.  I  just want to finish up some work."

"Ok then. Have a good night sir."

"You too."

He took the things out of the car and headed inside. He knew no one was going to be there and he wanted it that way.

He could feel the familiar pain in his chest. It never went away. There were times it was too much for him and during those times he wanted to die. He always felt like he never belonged even after building this company. And no matter how much he tried to run from his past,  it always caught up with him. At fourteen, the doctor had told his mother that he was suicidal. She didn't believe him despite the cut marks that covered his hands and thighs.

She had left him alone. Each day, he would wake up and think he didn't deserve to live. He hated himself . People told him he was ugly and he believed them.

He tried to find friends to fill his void but no one wanted to be associated with him, not even his family. They never understood what he went through when he saw his brother die.  No one could relate with his pain.

He wanted to shout he was not okay but knew no one would care. He lived in a nightmare every single day after his brother died but they treated him as though he had wanted him to die. Why was it so hard for them to understand?

He came to a stop as he reached the door that led to the roof. He opened it and stepped out.

The cold air of the night hit him, sending chills all over his body. He zipped up the jacket he was wearing and started to walk over to the edge of the building.

He sat down and placed the box next to him.

From up there, he could see an overview of the whole city and it was beautiful. The lights from buildings almost as tall as the one he was on made it almost impossible to see the beautiful night sky. Tonight was a full moon , and billions of stars spread across the sky. Some clouds could be spotted every once in a while.

Flashback...

"Do you know what I think of the stars?"

"What?"

"There are billions of stars in the sky, each one shining it's brightest, some almost dying. But when they all shine together, they create something so captivating and beautiful that you can't know which one is dying or not. Just like us. When we are individual beings, both of us try to shine our brightest but when we come together we create something so beautiful and captivating."

End of flashback.

Adam made him see the hidden beauty in things and people, him included. Despite his many flaws, Adam had always loved him and helped him become human again. He had to say thank you to the man who made him human again and taught him how to live and love.

He took the bottle he had taken from his drawer, took out some pills and swallowed them.

He then took out his phone and started typing away.