chapter xxii - our

tw: blood, gore, descriptive medical procedures

"i don't wanna wake him up, i'll be fine," i say as i wrap my arms tighter around his neck.

"my hands and my shirt you've got on are soaked in blood, he can wake up. you are not fine."

"i'm a doctor, i can fix myself. let him sleep."

"y/n, i'm not arguing with you. you can't walk and you're bleeding, he's gonna get up and do his job," negan shuts the door behind us and turns to the guard, "go get carson, now. tell him to meet us in the clinic."

"yes, sir," the guard says before walking off. when we get into the clinic, he sets me down on the table.

"i have no pants on, he's gonna see me," i sigh, frustrated.

"here," he hands me a blanket but pulls his hand back as he sees the blood dripping down my outer thigh. he yanks the door back open, "get him in here right now!"

i become dizzy, my breath becoming harder to breathe. the heat of my body elevated, and sweat started dripping down my body. i'm panting as my fingers grip the side of the table.

negan comes to my side, "i don't know what to do - what do i do?" he panics.

"breathe," i choke out as i lay back against the table, causing more pain to spread. he takes my hand, rubbing my head as carson runs in.

"about damn time. she's bleeding, she's...i don't know but just help her, now!"

carson walks over, checking my temperature before sticking another iv in me. "i'm sorry, y/n. but i'm going to have to flip you."

i acknowledge him with a nod as my throat becomes dry. "she's going to yell when we flip her, we do it anyways. are you ready?" he asks negan. negan slowly nods before looking down at me sadly. "on 3. 1, 2, 3."

i let out a scream as i land on my stomach, "i'm sorry, i'm so sorry, y/n," negan mumbles as he takes hold of my hand.

"the bandage didn't hold, you need stitches. and the laceration is infected. your contusion is getting worse, i'll deal with that later. this is gonna hurt a lot, y/n. it's just some penicillin," carson says as he injects me with the meds. it didn't hurt as bad as he said it would, but i think he meant that warning for what was next.

"now i know this is going to hurt a lot, but i need you to stay still. sir, i need you to hold her legs down."

negan doesn't hesitate, going to hold my legs down as carson cleans the area. then the real pain begins, he weaves the needle in and out of my back as i cry out. tears stream down my face as my knuckles turn white from gripping the bed. i beg them to stop but carson keeps telling negan to hold me down. i can tell his resolve is loosening.

"you can't put her to sleep? she can't do this any longer, carson!" negan yells.

"we don't have anymore anesthesia, sir. she's going to pass out soon, though. hang in there, y/n."

he was right, my world went black as he said those words. when i wake back up, he'd finally finished stitching my back. "her head is fine. just don't let her wash it until tomorrow, she does need to get it wet though. i need someone to ice her back for at least the next few hours. and she needs to take two of these now and one every four hours. this will kill any infection. i'm putting her on bed rest, she needs to stay still."

"what about pain meds?" negan asks, "she's in a lot of pain."

"that's what's in the iv."

"i'll take care of her," negan says. whatever carson had put into the iv made me ever drowsier, i knew my body couldn't move a muscle. as i laid there, negan says, "can i take her to our room now?"