40

"Meredith, you're going to be okay," her son murmured to the petite blonde leaning into his arms. She smiled at the tenderness she could hear in his voice and see in his touch even as she stood a few feet away. He cared about her. Her son, who she had expected to be miserable, cared about the blonde and he sounded so much stronger and happier than she could remember.

"I could always not go," Meredith whispered, curling into his chest. "I...I mean...the land is big and I could help you show your mom..."

"Mer, you know you have to go," he whispered.

"But I don't..."

"She's your mom."

"I know. I know. And I know I'm a horrible, awful, terrible person for not wanting to go. I know that. But last time she was...and it's going to be worse. It's going to be worse this time and I...I know, I'm awful. I'm terrible and you definitely shouldn't be friends with me.

"Okay, now you're going all flippy on me," he laughed softly, hugging her closer. "You know I don't think anything like that. You're not horrible or terrible or awful, you're simply human."

"Humans want to see their mothers."

"Not in your situation," he shook his head.

"I guess," she mumbled before burying her face in his chest. Katherine darted her eyes away for a second, suddenly feeling as if she were intruding on a private moment between two lovers instead of friends. She knew that wasn't the case, but the way her son ducked his head down and whispered to the girl in his arms...the way his lips brushed across her forehead, Katherine wasn't sure what the case was anymore.

"Stop beating yourself about this," he whispered, rocking her gently. "You know I'm not judging you. I get it."

"I know."

"You don't have to stay long. Just say hi."

"I can't just say hi, Der."

"Okay but you don't have to stay long."

"Can I...never mind."

"What?"

"It doesn't matter, Derek. It's...you'll be with your mom and...I can just go home."

"Meredith..." Derek frowned. "Of course it matters."

"But I can just go home."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because you'll be with your mom."

"She likes you," Derek shrugged. "Come back here."

"Are...are you sure?"

"Definitely."

"Okay," she breathed.

"If you don't...I'll just worry about you anyway."

"Okay," she giggled and Katherine smiled as Meredith ran her fingers through Derek's hair.

"Good," Derek grinned, pressing his forehead to her's. "You can do this."

"I know I can," she rolled her eyes, leaning forward to kiss him.

"Hmmm..." he breathed against her lips before pulling back slightly. "That explains the freaking out."

"I can do it. I just don't want to."

"I know," he murmured, kissing her again. "It will be okay."

"I know," she breathed against his lips, her hands moving over his hair again.

"I'll be here when it's over."

"I'll see you later."

"You will."