Chapter 43: Business trip

"What the....
___

Squeezing the cup hard, some of the hot liquid spilled on Jackie's hand, snapping her back to reality. Instinctively, she dropped the cup to the floor and winced at the stings.

Yazmine averted her gaze from the two figures to Jackie, a worried look on her face.

"Are you okay?" Yazmine asked.

"Uh.. uhm.. I"

"Jackie?!" Candy's familiar voice sounded from a distance. Her face brightens up as she ran to give her a hug. "It's so nice to see, gosh I've missed your adorable face"

Jackie's smile return "I'm glad to see you too sis" her gaze went to the man behind her.

"Hey trouble maker" Jameson greeted and got a glare in return.

"By the way, what happened to you? You look disturbed a while ago" Jackie said.

"It's nothing. Since you're here, let's have lunch together" Candy suggested and Jackie nodded. As they leave, Yazmine turn her gaze to her little brother.

"What was that?" She inquired.

"What?"

"You know what talking about James"

"I was just consoling her, nothing more" He replied, walking away. Yazmine took a deep breath and followed.
____

"Divorce her"

Silence dragged on as Old Mavis's word repeated in Diego's head. Divorce? His aura became incredibly cold.

"You should try to understand Diego, marrying someone who can't give you an heir is..."

"Mind the way you complete the sentence or I might never speak to you ever again" Diego warned coldly.The old man on the other side must have sensed his anger, he sighed.

"Son let's see each other and talk" The old man's voice came soft and pleading this time.

"Let me clear this right now. If I get a divorce then I'm never going to get married. Mark my word" with this, he ended the call.
___

After work, Diego got home late as usual. He felt strange as he walk in. The house seems empty. He stepped into the dinning room and to his surprise, he didn't see any dinner. Frowning, he went upstairs to check on Candy.

After knocking twice with no reply, Diego opened the door and found the room empty.

Drawing out his phone, he decided call her but saw her message in which she had sent five hours again.

*I WON'T BE HOME TODAY, I'LL BE STAYING AT YAZMINE'S TO PREPARE FOR THE BUSINESS TRIP TOMORROW*

He sighed deeply, staring at the message as he went to sit on the edge of the huge bed. Did she decided not to come home because of him?

Meanwhile, Candy was staring at the message too. It has been five hours and Diego haven't replied yet. What else does she expect from a cold man who doesn't appreciate her effort.

Her mind drifted to the swimming incident, how he had protected her, the cinema, games and the gentle moments she had with Diego. Was that the real him?

"What are you doing?" Yazmine walked into the room. Candy avert her gaze from the phone. "Missing your husband already?"

Candy scoffed. "No I'm not. I was just wondering when I'll get to know him better. He is just too distant, that's all" she mumbled.

"You know I was dated the hottest guy in college. He was every girl's crush in school. He treats other girls like shit but when it comes to me, he was gentle. He have this strange character that makes me feel like he's hiding something. No matter how hard I tried to know what he was hiding, he mostly shrug me off or change the topic"