Thirty Five

All I've been thinking about this morning is Sam's text. Why would he want to talk again after he blatantly yelled at me? I use my finger to trace on the marble counter, doing absolutely nothing.

I can practically feel Jack's eyes burning through me. I look up at him and he's watching me intently and smiling fondly. A blush rises to my cheeks and I smile back at him.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing." He drags out, holding his arms open from me.

I stand from my seat and willingly walk into them. His arms instantly wrap around my waist, hugging me close. After we pull away from that random hug, I rest my hands on his shoulders, feeling the soft material of his button up shirt.

Maybe I should tell Jack about the text? He's been so oblivious to me thinking so much and being so nervous.

"Sam texted me." I say and Jack suddenly sits up straighter.

His eyebrows pull together, "what? Wait, why?"

"He wants to talk again." I shrug my shoulders and then Jack's lowers eyebrows raise in surprise.

"That's good! Talk to him then." He tells me.

"No, because I know if we talk, it's probably going to make the situation worse." I murmur.

"Maybe he wants to apologize. You never know."

"Jack, I do know. He's out to get me!" I exaggerate, throwing my arms up in frustration.

Jack chuckles, "he's not out to get you. You're overthinking. Just go talk to him. I'll go with you because I kind of don't trust him alone with you."

"You're so clingy." I joke.

He smiles at me, "I am your fiancé, so I'm obviously going to be clingy." He jokes back.

Should I really talk to Sam? What if something goes wrong again and he has an outburst like before. I just don't want to be humiliated by him if Jack's going to be there too. Something mean might just randomly slip out of his mouth.

"You're overthinking again, let's go." Jack cuts me from my deep thoughts.

My eyes bolt at his, "where are we going?"

"You're going to talk to Sam and I'm taking you." He tells me.

"No, no, no." I say.

"Yes, we're going. Come on." Jack replies in a bored tone.

He stands from his chair and I have no choice but to listen to him. He's giving me a stern and annoyed look. A look my dad would give me if he was sick of me being all stubborn.

I follow him out to his car and take deep, steady breaths. I'm going to be facing Sam again, here we go. The worst he could do is probably slap me across the face while we're arguing.

The drive to Sam's house isn't long at all. We shortly arrive and I get out of the car before Jack can open the car door. I pry the engagement ring off my finger and Jack's eyes widen.

"What are you doing?" He rushes.

"Relax." I laugh. "I'm just taking it off for now because I don't want to insult Sam even more by wearing the ring in front of him." I tell him and he nods his head.

"You're gonna put it back on after, right?" He asks.

"Yes, Jack." I smile, heading into the house behind him.

I put the ring in my front pocket, making sure it's secured in there because it wouldn't be good if I lost that ring. Johnson sits in the living room all expectant for us.

"Sam's in his room." Johnson tells me. "Be warned, he's still a little pissed off."

My eyes nervously flicker to Jack and he slowly nods his head to me in reassurance. I walk down the hall to Sam's room and am surprised when Jack doesn't follow behind me. He stays in the living room.

I knock on the door and hear a groan from the other side of the door. My eyebrows pull together.

"J, I told you, I don't want to party tonight." He says through the door.

I twist the knob slowly, opening the door. Sam's laying on his stomach on top of his bed. His hairs a mess and so is his room. The other times I've been in here, it's never been like this.

"Camila?" Sam says.

"I'm here to talk. I got your text." I tell him.

"Yeah, that was like four days ago. Took you long enough." He rolls his eyes.

"It's 10 in the morning. Get up, Sam." I say, sitting at the foot of his bed.

He groggily get up, sitting with his back against the headboard. I would be lying if I said he didn't look attractive in this moment, but I'm taken and that's what I here to talk about. I'm happy with Jack, right?

Sam's eyes take over my entire body and he stares at my left hand for a long time.

"Where's your ring?" He asks, a little shimmer or hope remains in his eyes.

I feel so bad and guilty to be the one to take that away from him. He's Sam Wilkinson. He could get any girl he wanted to. Why settle for me?

"I took it off." I simply say.

That was so obvious.

"Are you having second thoughts?" He raises an eyebrow.

I shake my head, "no, I'm sorry. I just didn't want to wear it because I know it'd make you feel sad and it'll remind you of me and Jack being together."

"Oh, so you'd rather tell me straight up than have me see a ring on your finger?" His voice raises slightly and I stand up from the bed to shut the door.

I almost automatically know that Jack might be eavesdropping on us, but there's nothin to worry about. I'm not going to confess a love story or anything of that such.

"Sam, you're being difficult-"

"You're being impossible." He retorts. "What's so good about Jack?" He narrows his eyes at me.

"You tell me. He's one of your best friends." I say.

"Was one of my best friends." He corrects me and I tilt my head to the side.

"Sam, what are you trying to say?"

"I don't like him. That motherfucker ruined the chance of me ever being in a relationship." He nonchalantly shrugs and I feel that damn familiar pinching feeling in my heart.

"I'm sorry, Sam." I apologize and I don't know why I'm the one apologizing.

Maybe if he told me earlier, things would've been different? Thought, I slightly doubt it because I thought we were just friends with benefits. That's all. Friends with benefits.

{vote, comment, share}