Not everything is as it seems

She doesn't meet my eye. "Hey Zoey."

"Hi wow I feel like it's been forever how are you?"

"What are you doing here?"

She didn't even bother to answer my question. "I go here now because my teacher sent me here because of a poem I wrote in class and she claims to that I was distraught and angry so they sent me here."

"Oh."

Oh that's all she was going to say?

"Well see you next week."

"Yeah see you next week Sam."

She continues what she was supposed to do and doesn't look behind her. Not even once. Honestly that was not the reaction I was looking for. She didn't even seemed excited to see. I was expecting her to jump out and give me the biggest hug tell me everything I missed for example all the boys she crushed on, or how many times she made a fool of herself trying to open a bag of chips, or even how she was doing. I don't know what is up with her but I'll figure it out next week. There's nothing else I can look forward to anyway. I have my therapy meeting with this other therapist named Mrs. Michaels which is the name of the this medical center so I have a crazy feeling she is the owner. I hope I'm wrong. I see my mom's car parked outside and I leave. I had this aching feeling in my stomach, not wanting to leave my friend alone but I knew that I would see her next week. So I ignore the feeling and hop inside the car.

"Hey munchkin. Who was that girl you were talking to?"

"Oh just a friend."

"That's very good Zoey that you're making friends. The sooner you cooperate, the faster you'll get out of there. I'm very very proud of you. I think I would have lose it just looking at the place."

I laugh "Well it's a good thing you're not going there."

"Yeah."

******

The day was almost over. It was third period right now which was bio, then fourth, lunch, fifth, and sixth then I'm home free. I just couldn't wait. I haven't even caught up on The Flash. In Mr. Baker's class it was always chaos. They were kids standing on tables, spit wads flying everywhere, other kids making out, some just even left the class. I mean I couldn't blame them but if I leave I won't know what we learned in class, well the parts I can catch anyway. There was five minutes left of class and the girls in the room squeal. This is the part in class where Ethan Tanner chooses a girl that gets to walk him to his next class. He recently broke his leg in the last football game. There were ten guys on him but he still manage to make to the end of the field for the touchdown but breaking his leg in the process. Everyone at school has been talking about it for weeks.

Mr. Baker raise his head from the book he was reading "Mr.Tanner please choose a someone to carry your things and take you to your next class."

"Ok."

I think he's taken every girl in this class well except for me anyway. He supposedly does it because he said everyone deserves a chance to walk with him. He was said to be really sweet but I wasn't buying it I mean like come on really? The wide receiver of the football team being sweet and kind. Seemed unlikely I mean his friends weren't the nicest people in the world and I've met them. I remember around the first week of school.

I walked to the locker I couldn't open. I had tried to open it over and over but I just wasn't working. I was going to be late for class. They had said it would be ok because it's only the first week of school but really it wouldn't. Being late to class meant everyone watching you when you walked in, and missing what was talked about in class. I turned to my left a crowd of boys wearing football jersey were making a mess and creating a huge noise around them but I stirred up the courage to go ask them to open my locker. "Hey excuse me but can you open my locker for me I keep trying but It's not working."

The brown haired one in the front answered. "Yeah sure we could try."

I smiled "Thank you."

They looked at my combination and opened it. I was relieved.

"Do you need any help with putting things in your locker?"

"Nah It's alright." But they insisted so I let them but then they started carrying me and I finally got the idea "wait! Stop!" the next thing I saw was the inside of a locker they slammed it shut and walked away.

"Zoey is so stupid and she was always friends with that weird girl Sam."

I hear them all chuckle as they walked away. It took the teachers four hours to find me and when they asked me who did it I said nothing because I was scared I would get shoved in a locker again. Ever since that day I have loathed them and because of them I am claustrophobic. They are one of the reasons why I can't trust anyone.

I couldn't let him pick me I was just too scared of what would happen to me. Oh no. He looked around the class and his eyes fell on mine. Why did I make eye contact?!

"I would like to take Zoey Campbell please."

"Ok. That's fine."

There was no way he was walking me but I didn't want to make a scene so I picked up his backpack and textbook and quietly follow him out of the room I felt everyone's eyes on me especially those girls.

We walked for what seemed like hours and I just wanted all of it to be over. But I knew that I had to say something because if I didn't I don't think I will make it.

"Hey."

"Hey. Thank god you're talking because I didn't think I would have been able to."

I laugh "Well probably what would have happened is I would have gone crazy and started yelling at you."

He grins. "I'm pretty sure I would have ditch you around the corner before then."

"Remind me to never go anywhere with you."

We finally got to his room. I sent down his stuff and started to head back out when he called my name.

"Wait can't you stay? You don't have to go. Stay until the bell rings I promise you won't be late."

I hesitate but I decide to stay.

He looks and me and moves closer and eventually our noses are touching. I whisper "What are you doing? Are you sure you want to do this?" He fixes my hair and looks me in the eyes again.

"Of course can't I kiss a nice girl?"

"No not if it's out of pity. I know what you're doing Ethan. You feel bad that I'm supposedly suicidal and you feel like you should do something about it but you don't have to. Don't do something you're going to regret. Why do it when you know it all fake, a game. We both know it's not going to change anything. It won't change what you're friends did. It's not your fault. It never was."

A huge grin spreads across his face. "You're a smart girl you know that?"

"I know."

He laughs. "I hope we could be friends."

"Actually that's a great idea I would love that."

"See I have some good ideas."

Now it's my turn to laugh. "Bye. See you around Tanner."

"Bye Campbell."

That went way better than I thought I definitely suspected that Ethan was going to do that but I was really surprised on how kind he was. Even though his friends were a bunch of douche bags it didn't mean he was one. I  think I should've got that kiss.

Thank you guys so much for reading!! Thank you all so much!! -Ouanessa :)