Chapter 1

"Hey Jack!" I said, letting one of my two best friends, Jack Johnson in. "Where's Gills?"

Gills was my nickname for my other best friend, Jack Gilinsky. Since Jack Johnson and Jack Gilinsky have the same name, I gave Jack G a nickname: Gills.

Jack and Gills were both two years older then me. I was thirteen, and they were fifteen. We met when they were in kindergarten. I was only two and a half then. We were neighbours, and we all just hit it off.

Jack shook his head. "I don't know. He never answered his phone, and he wasn't at home."

I sighed. "Let me call him." I ran to my home phone, since I don't have a cell phone yet, and I dialled Gills' cell number.

It rang once.

Rang twice.

Rang three times.

Then before it could ring anymore, the line went dead.

"He hung up on me!" I exclaimed.

Jack shrugged. "Whatever, forget it," he said. "Want to go to the mall?"

I nodded. "Sure," I called up to my mom. "Mom! I'm going to the mall with Jack!"

"Which Jack?" my mom called back down the stairs from her room.

"Johnson!" I said.

My mom came down the stairs, and put the dirty laundry basket down. "Where's Gills?"

I slapped my forehead. When I was three, I made my mom call him Gills as well and she'd gotten into the habit.

"We don't know." I responded.

"Need a ride?" my mom asked.

I looked at Jack and he shook his head. "No, we can ride our bikes."

My mom nodded. "Okay, have fun. Ring if you need anything." she picked up the basket and walked down to the basement, where our laundry room was.

I opened the garage and grabbed my bright blue bike, throwing on my pink flowered helmet and strapping it up. "Ready?" I asked.

Jack nodded. "Race you!" he called, speeding off in the direction of the mall.

"Hey! No fair!" I called back.

We raced to the mall and he ended up winning. "You cheater!" I laughed, hooking my bike to the bike rack. Jack copied my actions.

We laughed and joked around as we walked into the mall. The first thing I saw was Gills. What was he doing here?

"Hey Jack, look, there's Gills." I pointed him out.

Then I saw something I wish I could forget.

Gills leaned down to kiss Bridget, the girl who lives across the street from us and a total bitch.

And that is when I realized that I was falling for my best friend.

Jack Gilinsky.