Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The next week John was almost raring for a fight with Karena, ready to pick her up on any opinions that she tried to shove down their throats.

Unfortunately he was quickly disappointed.

Once again the class divided into two, with those wishing to learn grouping around one side of Karena's desk, while the others talked among themselves at the back.

It turned out that only one other inmate had read the whole book, as John had, and a second had read the first three chapters. The remaining two looked sheepish and had clearly read nothing. Karena didn't seem to mind and simply posed a question, asking what they thought about the narrative coming from the perspective of the child, Scout.

While she guided the discussion and encouraged opinions, she never stated an opinion herself, she didn't tell them what to think and on the few occasions she did mention something that they had overlooked, she posed it as a question, asking what they thought about some scholar or others observations.

He vehemently argued against some of the scholars views she opined, though she refused to argue back and indeed agreed with him on some of his points. As they were leaving at the end though, he realised that he had probably looked like an argumentative fool.

He wasn't particularly proud of himself as they entered the lunch hall, and indeed the other inmates who had participated in the lesson seemed to be giving him the silent treatment. It seemed they rather liked her. As he walked out of the lunch hall, he realised he's been a bit of a shit to her for no real reason, and that he should probably apologise.

It wasn't in his nature to say sorry though, so he simply hoped to engage her in some pleasant though meaningless conversation, in the hopes that she would see he wasn't a total dick.

"Tom, you mustn't think like that," he heard her saying as he approached the classroom. "You think differently to most people. That's doesn't make you stupid, just different and I'll bet you anything that there are things you can understand and do, that most of these so these so called 'normal' people can't."

John paused outside the classroom and listened.

"Like what?" Tom asked, though he sounded petulant.

"Studies have proven that dyslexic people are more creative, more intuitive and insightful, they often have the ability to think multi dimensionally and have very vivid imaginations. I know it doesn't always seem like it in a world that's build for language lovers, but in many ways your perspective on the world is unique and if you can harness that, you can go far."

"Not gonna help me to read though, is it?"

"No, but once you've mastered that, you'll never have to learn it again. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to read a sign as you pass it? Or maybe one day, even a book that you like the sound of."

"All right, fine," Tom sighed theatrically.

John listened for a few more minutes as Karena began teaching him some basic techniques.

He'd met Tom and wondered why he always seemed so defensive. He had no idea that Tom couldn't read and while his first instinct had been to laugh at someone so stupid that they couldn't even read, he instead found himself feeling sorry for the boy. John was no scholar, but he couldn't imagine going through life unable to decipher so much of the world around him.

He turned and walked away, heading back to his room.

III

Every Wednesday afternoon Gary came to visit John. Gary was about ten years younger than John and far less savvy, but he was unfailingly loyal, which is why John had picked him as his second in command. And he wasn't dim by any stretch of the imagination.