Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Jane Smith was surprised to see her daughter standing on her doorstep. They kept in touch these days but visits were infrequent.

“Karena,” she smiled. “What you doin' here, love?”

“I need to see Dad, is he in?”

“He's in the sittin' room.”

She stood back and Karena entered. Her father, Ben Smith was sitting on the sofa, supping on a coke and smoking a bootleg cigaret, while watching Jeremy Kyle on the television.

“Kar?” he said, surprised as she walked in. “What brings you 'ere?”

Karena sat down next to him and decided to get straight to the point.

“I need your help, Dad."

That wasn't something she had asked for in a very long time and he frowned in confusion.

"Whats up, love?"

"As your only daughter, I'm asking for the help of you and your chapter.”

“Darlin', I'll do what I can to 'elp you, but I'm not sure the boys will want to get involved.”

“Then make them,” she said firmly. “You owe me, Dad. They owe me, and you know it.”

Ben looked uncomfortable. It was true that the father of her child had been Stuart, the son of the former chapter head, although had Karena never told anyone who the father of her baby was, because he was 19 at the time and could have been sent down for having sex with a minor. Everyone in the chapter knew though; secrets were hard to keep in such a close knit group. Stu, as he was known, also hadn't paid a penny towards his child.

The Hell's Angels were an odd mix of the worst kind of sexism, coupled with an overly protective streak. Many had disagreed with Ben's actions when he kicked his daughter out but they couldn't cross him; being second in command, so to speak, he had been too high up the totem pole back then.

He wasn't top dog any longer though, but since Karena had been wronged by one of their own, he was fairly certain he could convince some of them to help repay that debt.

“All right, love, what do you need?”

“Danny Mahone tried to kill John this morning.”

“Danny tried to kill your fella?”

“Yes, he wants John's turf. Tonight we're striking back, taking out every high level operative he has.”

“Murder?” Ben asked his eyes wide with shock. “I'm not so sure the lads-”

“Only one murder,” she assured him. “And I'll take care of that. The others just need to be put out of action for a while. Broken legs and hands, that kind of stuff.”

Contrary to popular belief, the Hell's Angels aren't killers for hire. They would be happy to work someone over for money, but murder was something else entirely.

Bob considered his daughter for a moment, not sure whether to be proud of her strength, or frightened of it.

“I think we can 'elp with that,” he finally agreed.

“Good,” she smiled “We strike tonight, and there's five hundred in it for anyone who signs up.”

Ben nodded, knowing that the cash would help.

“Where and when?”

“Estate community hall at five o'clock. Bring your own weapons.”

“I'll get as many as I can,” he assured her.