Chapter 20

Mariah P.O.V

"Hello ma'am, is Amari Santana here?" A police officer asked showing me his badge. "No sir, he's not home right now. Can I ask why your looking for him?" Words can't even explain how worried I am right now. "Who are you to him?" He questioned. "I'm Mariah Lopez, his girlfriend. What's going on?" I asked him again. "Do you mind if we take a look around?" He asked shining his flashlight at things. "No, go ahead but what happened?" I asked for the third time, clearly annoyed. "Well Mrs. Lopez, Amari has been-" Before he could finish his sentence Amari walked through the front door with Quinn wrapped in his arms. "What the hell is this?" He semi yelled looking at me. "I don't know they just showed up looking for yo-" The police officer cut me off and pulled out a piece of paper. "Amari Santana?" He asked looking at Mari. "Yea that's me." He said with attitude handing Quinn to me. "We have a warrant for your arrest, you have the right to remain silent and anything you say can and will be used against you during the court of law." He showed him the warrant and cuffed his hands behind his back. I just wanted to cry. "Mariah it's ok baby don't cry." He yelled while the police officer tried to push him toward the door. "I have to tell you something." I cried out. "Just give me a minute with her and my son, damn!" He shouted at the officer but he pushed him outside toward the squad car. I put Quinn in his chair and ran out after them with tears pouring down my cheeks. "I'm pregnant!" I yelled just as they pushed his head down in the car. The car pulled off and I just collapsed into the grass crying my heart out. I finally got myself together and went back into the house. "It's ok Quinn he'll be back." I cooed patting his back. I quickly got together Quinn's diaper bag and grabbed my phone, key's, and purse. I locked the door and put Quinn in the car, making sure he was strapped in. I hopped in the car and we were on the highway in no time. After about 30 minutes of driving I finally reached mama Jacqueline's house. I quickly got Quinn and knocked on the door. "Oh hey baby, what y'all doing here?" Mama Jacky said opening the door to let us in. "Mama Amari was just arrested." I said just before I broke down in tears again. "What? Why? What station is he at?" She asked as she grabbed her purse. "I don't know, I don't know anything they just took him away." I cried. "Come on, don't cry. I raised that boy to be a soldier, he'll be just fine, don't worry. Now let's go down to the station so we can get some information on all of this. She took Quinn out of my arms and we walked out the front door. I got in the car and waited for Mama to get in after putting Quinn in his seat. We sped off down the road and went to the nearest police station. "I'll stay in here and watch Quinn. You go in there and find out as much as you can, you hear?" Mama instructed and I got out of the car. "Hi, I'm here for Amari Santana." I said to the lady sitting at the front desk. She looked up at me then started typing things on her computer. "He has a court date on the 23rd of this month and he isn't aloud any visitors within the 20 days he will remain in the county jail but he will receive 3 phone calls a day. If he's found guilty during trial he will be sentenced 4 years for being involved in the murder of Wesley Burdett." She said without any emotion on her face. "Thank you." I replied with teary eyes and turned around to walk back to my car. "So? What'd they say?" Mama Jacky questioned looking right at me. "We can't see him for 20 days and if he's found guilty he'll go to jail for 4 years." I chocked up at just the thought of him being in hand cuffs. Amari isn't a criminal. "Guilty of what? When's his trial? Can he at least call?" She said with watery eyes. "I don't know, they said for being involved in the murder of some guy. He get's 3 calls a day and his trail is on the 23rd." I don't know what I'm going to do. It's not just me or Mari I'm worried about. What about Quinn? What about our unborn? I can't do this on my own. I just wanted to break down and cry. "It's ok child don't cry." Mama said rubbing my back.

***

I dropped mama off earlier and she insisted on babysitting Quinn. I was laying in bed just thinking and my phone started vibrating on the nightstand.