9

The men were three days into their hike, and they were thirsty.

Milos also had some extraordinarily bad blisters, but he decided against voicing his annoyance about it at this stage in time as he decided not dying of thirst was a much more important issue, and opening his mouth to complain unnecessarily would just cause his throat to dry out even more than it currently had.

Nikolas collapsed, unable to walk any further whilst so dehydrated, and Jason for the forty-third time that day felt guilt rush through his body.

He had convinced Milos and Nikolas to come with him to an unknown fate and he hadn't planned the proper provisions. They were maybe a day and a half's walk from Larissa (home of the "hero" Achilles, someone who pales in bravery when compared to Jason. Anyone can be brave when they're almost immortal), but Jason wasn't sure they would be able to make it that far without a fatality.

Nikolas' collapse certainly suggested not.

Jason and Milos were not bad men. But whilst trying to pick Nikolas off the ground and move him out of the direct sunlight until they figured out how to help restore his health, they did get distracted by a smell that was simply divine, and the beautiful woman it came from. And maybe, just maybe, they dropped him.

"I think you gentlemen may need some assistance," her voice was musical. It was so pretty that it almost hurt to listen to. The fair haired woman looked amused by the situation, as if a man half dead from dehydration and his slightly more animated friends where something she came across all the time. (It was something she came across all the time, but Jason and Milos didn't know this.)

She held out a chalice towards them, filled with a golden liquid.

"Here, let your friend drink from this," she eyed them up and down, "And then maybe you two could use with a drink to."

Jason did not trust this woman. Not one bit. Nothing about her seemed quite right. But the men were desperate and it was hard to think rationally, especially when that golden liquid looked so fulfilling. He grabbed the chalice from her, and poured some of the shimmering fluid down Nikolas' throat. He then took a swig and handed it to Milos who finished the rest.

"My feet!" Milos explained to Jason's confusion; Jason had not realised the full extent of Milos' blister.

Nikolas opened his eyes and slowly stood up. All three men now stared curiously and intently at the beautiful woman.

"Thank you for your help kind lady, would you tell us your name?" Jason asked. After drinking from her chalice all the men were feeling rested and healed, and he was sure they would make it comfortably to Larissa without needing anything else. He knew that he should have no reason to distrust the stranger after the help she had given them, but still, something felt off about her.

"Oh none of that matters," she laughed (as a consequence of the sound, all the newborns born at that very second were beautiful children with darling dispositions and would grow up to live a very happy life), "all that matters is that you are trying to protect the sanctimony of marriage."

She started to walk away from the men, but before she disappeared she turned around to say just one more thing to them.

"You won't be able to stop his ways, you know? My husband has hurt many people, but myself the most. If there was a way this could end I would've done it by now."