19 N

My lips parted slightly and my hand slipped down, the knife leaving a shallow cut on his forearm as he moved away, causing me to drop the blade. It landed with a soft thud on the cushion in front of me as he stared down at me. "What?" I asked, my voice a whisper.

"Damn, that was good!" he said, standing up and placing his hands together. "I mean were you planning on burying me? Or were you just going to let someone find me here?" he asked, a terrifying grin extending up his face.

My mind went blank as I fell into the cushions, watching him pace around the room, "You were close, too damn close. And you know the most fucked up part? I knew about it, and I let you try, and you still failed."

My mouth was dry and my head was spinning, tears were forming in my eyes, angry tears. I was so mad at myself, so disappointed.

"He told me, shit he told me everything. But I didn't believe him, until you walked in here tonight, all gussied up. Shit, you're a bad liar Nyra, a really fucking bad one."

I looked up at his face, something unreadable sat within his dark eyes, but I knew it was bad, and I was scared.

"I mean, you were gonna fucking kill me." he asked, an unamused laugh following, "That's not fucking nice."

"Oh so I was just supposed to what- let you kill me?" I asked, standing up on shaky legs.

"For the millionth time, you are goddamn useless to me if you're dead." he yelled, stepping forward, inches from me, his breath hitting my face as he panted.

"I know about the poison, I'm not stupid." I spat, "Christ I thought I was going crazy, but you were killing me."

He stepped back, a look of confusion spreading across his face, "What the fuck are you talking about?"

I stopped and met his eyes, I couldn't be wrong, who else would poison me? But I hadn't even stopped to think about it, why would he kill me?

Fuck.

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

My vision blurred and I leaned back, steadying myself on the arm of the couch.

"Nyra, what are you talking about?" he repeated.

"Who told you?" I asked, finally letting his words seep into my head, "Who told you I was going to kill you?"

"Simon." he said, watching my face with the same look of confusion, "Found out from one of his spies. I didn't believe him, told him to take care of business by himself."

"Oh my god." I said, sitting back down, "Jeremy. He told me, I just got it wrong."

Jeremy had been working for Simon, that's why he told me, he was trying to save me.

"I'm so goddamn stupid." I said, pulling at my hair and covering my face with my sweaty palms, "It was Simon, the fucker's been poisoning me so I mess up and spill my plan."

He remained silent as he watched my face fall.

"You're not stupid, just a bad liar, and a pretty shitty assassin, and you're goddamn impatient." he listed off, grabbing a bottle of bourbon and bringing it to his lips.

"Okay, jesus." I mumbled, my face flushing.

"I mean I've been training you for this shit for months. Are you sure-" he continued.

"God, okay. I get it." I said, standing and wiping tears off my cheeks.

"Well shit, don't be embarrassed." he half grinned, watching me break down.

"I'm not." I yelled as more tears fell from my eyes, it was beginning to turn into a full on tantrum, "I'm mad, I'm mad at myself because after everything you've done to me I can't kill you. I owe it to my friends and I owe it to myself but for some reason I can't do it."