15

Mirana locks eyes with Angela across the bullpen where the woman is showing fellow officers pictures of baby Jack

Mirana locks eyes with Angela across the bullpen where the woman is showing fellow officers pictures of baby Jack. A hand lands on her shoulder and she turns to see Ryan who steers her towards the briefing room.  

"I'm liking the hair," Ryan says and Mirana offers him a weak smile. 

"Smitty's fault," Mirana says, toying with one of the red strands. 

"Look," Ryan turns her to face him. "You work in the same station as her, odds are you're going to have to talk to her at some point"

"If she approaches me before I'm ready-" Mirana releases a breath.

"Lucy and I will try and steer her away,"

"Why are you riding with Lucy again?" Mirana asks.

"Chen's my go-fer,"

"You took the other Sergeant's position?" Mirana asks and Ryan nods. "Finally! Haven't you been qualified for over three years?"

"I was waiting for Bradford, we agreed we'd become Sergeants together in the academy," Ryan nods. "Bastard did better in the exam than I did though"

"Because I was his study buddy," Mirana grins, sitting down next to Aaron who glances at her. 

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Aaron asks, glancing at Angela.

"We can't get drunk on shift so not particularly," Mirana sighs.

Aaron nods understandingly, but his expression shows concern. "Just know I'm here if you need to vent or anything," he offers, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "By the way, I'm loving the hair"

"Thanks, Aaron," Mirana smiles as Grey begins to finish the briefing.

"And finally, next month, we'll be voting for our new union rep. Per the MOA, all candidates are given the opportunity to address the troops. So, please help me welcome your first, your last, your only candidate, Smitty," Grey gestures to the man who stands up as people applause.

"Thank you, Sarge. Look, I don't want to bore you with a long speech. I've been union rep since 2006. You know me. You love me. Vote Smitty!" Smitty grins but it falls when Nolan raises his hand. "I'm not really taking questions"

"Just a quick one about the next round of union negotiations -- What do you think about pushing for a change to the MOA where county mental health is dispatched alongside us for all calls involving mental illness?"

"Great question. And I assure you that I have your back. Have a button," Smitty throws Nolan a button.

"Hey Smitty," Mirana raises her hand. "I also have a question. What do you think about pushing for officers to receive rudimentary training in other languages to help prevent language barriers when trying to collect information?"

"I- um- I will get back to you on that," Smitty says and Mirana rolls her eyes. 

"All right, that's it," Grey says. "Let's get to it. Be safe out there"