18

Mirana steps out of the shower, draping a towel over her shoulders and drying her body off before she pulls on a pair of yoga shorts and one of Tim's sweaters

Mirana steps out of the shower, draping a towel over her shoulders and drying her body off before she pulls on a pair of yoga shorts and one of Tim's sweaters. But a loud clatter from the living room makes Mirana freeze, the woman reaches over and turns on her hairdryer.

Then she reaches down and grabs her off-duty weapon out of her pile of clothes on the floor before she cracks the bathroom door open, dialling 9-1-1 on her phone.

"This is Officer Mirana Cabrera, badge number 28475. I have a potential intruder at my registered address,"

Mirana keeps herself pressed against the wall as she walks down the hallway, her gun raised as she peeks her head around the corner.

In the middle of the living room is a masked figure, kneeling on the floor, pressing their hands against the floorboards.

"What kind of idiot breaks into the home of two police officers?" Mirana asks, placing her phone down. "Hands in the air, don't move"

Mirana approaches the kneeling figure and pulls the mask off their face. The man looks up at her and she rolls her eyes.

"Hi Royce, want to explain why you're going against the order filed against you?" Mirana asks. "Let me guess, you're searching for the notes you left me? Well, they're all logged as evidence on my computer and I have backups of backups"

"I ought to kill you for what you did," Royce sneers. "I spent eight years in prison because of you!"

"Oh, are you still upset about that?" Mirana asks. "I thought you'd spend the years learning how to forgive and forget"

"You framed me!" Royce shouts, pulling a gun from his waistband and pointing it at Mirana who doesn't even flinch.

"No I didn't, evidence doesn't lie, Royce," Mirana says, a wicked grin on her lips. "You embezzled the money from the convenience store all those years ago and then you paid the price. So what's the plan now, you here to finish me off?"

"I suppose it's all I have left now,"

The door to the house flies open and Tim runs in, Ryan in tow. The latter is holding Isaac in one arm and Kojo's leash in the other as Tim trains his gun on Royce, moving to stand by Mirana.

"Take Isaac and Kojo outside, wait for the units to arrive," Mirana says to Ryan who nods.

"Didn't I warn you, Royce?" Tim asks. "That if you came near Mirana, I'd throw you back behind bars myself?"

"Now, do the maths Royce, one gun in your hand, two guns trained on you," Mirana grins at the man. "Your finger even twitches towards that trigger and I'll put a bala in your chest and I'll smile while doing it"

"You've always been a crazy bitch," Royce hisses and Mirana shrugs.

"Maybe, but you have always underestimated me. Even after all these years, I'm still besting you because you're an idiot, Royce,"