Chapter 29

"Would you be a dear and pass me the croutons?" Eliza asked you as she prepared a salad as the side dish for the dinner.

You happily passed her the croutons, watching as she mixed them into the salad.

"Well, how are you liking your stay so far?" Eliza asked, passing you the bowl so you could toss the salad while she prepared the rest of the dinner.

"It's amazing here, I can't thank you enough," you happily sighed, putting the bowl onto the counter where the rest of the finished food sat.

"I must say that it's quite the relief having another woman around, and I can tell that Philip has taken quite the liking to you," Eliza informed with a wink.

You gasped, a bright blush tinting your cheeks as you looked at her with wide eyes.

Eliza smiled, not saying another word as she began to take the plates of food to the dining area, you following closely behind her.

[×]

The fun times with Eliza didn't seem to last, however. She eventually found a copy of the Reynolds Pamphlet, destroyed buy what she had just read.

She sat with you, a small lantern lighting the room as the both of you spoke. "Do you know what Angelica said when we saw his first letter arrive?" She asked you.

You shook your head, listening intently to what she had to say.

"She told me: be careful with that one love, he will do what it takes to survive. She was right," Eliza sobbed, holding the letters Alexander had written to her in her hands.

You walked over to her, wrapping your arms around her from behind. You could feel her warm tears falling onto your arm.

She suddenly released herself from your grasp, taking the letters and one by one igniting them using the fire within the lantern.

"I hope that he burns." She whispered, the fire illuminating her face and reflecting off of her eyes. She suddenly removed her wedding ring from her hand, throwing it into the lantern as well.

You gasped, watching her sobbing form erase any memory that might have redeemed Alexander's reputation.

"Let's get you to bed. We can sleep in my room," you offered, cautiously leading Eliza out of the burning room.

[×]

You sat in the living room, staring down at the fireplace. You felt terrible for Eliza, but you didn't want to believe that Alexander was truly the monster that he seems to have become.

You hands gripped onto your (f/c) nightgown, you weren't tired. You couldn't bring yourself to sleep.

"Are you alright?" The voice of Alexander suddenly rang in your ears. You weren't ready to confront him, not yet.

You remained silent.

Alexander sighed, "I don't blame you for hating me. It seems to be all anyone knows how to do these days." He sadly told you, taking a seat next to you on the sofa.

"Why did you do it?" You suddenly mumbled, refusing to look up at Alexander.

His breath hitched, and he looked away in shame. "I hadn't slept in a week. I was weak, I was awake. You've never seen a bastard, orphan more in need of a break. I was longing for Angelica, missing my wife. Then suddenly, Mrs. Maria Reynolds waltz into my life," he told you.

You nodded, still not truly understanding the situation. "What does that have to do with-"

"She seduced me. I walked her home after she explained to me her abusive situation. All I wanted to do was be an honorable man. Before I knew it she led me to her bed, and my walls came tumbling down."

You didn't know what to think. Your words were caught in the back of your throat, you couldn't process anything. You suddenly stood, walking away. Leaving a shameful Alexander in the sitting area.

On your way to your room you spotted Philip, he stood propped up against his room door.

You quickly wrapped him in a hug, holding him tightly, never wanting to let go.

Her hugged back in an instant, rubbing your head with one hand, and strongly holding onto you with another. His embrace warm and comforting in the midst of all the chaos unfolding.

Your moment with Philip was like the eye of a hurricane. Quiet. For just a moment.