one

kehlani +

a frown is upon my face as i go to another room to put more sugar into the black coffee. i process what he just said and stare at it, wanting to spit in it, but mr. gilinsky would definitely notice that his coffee tastes minty.

the printer beside me starts to print things out, scaring the living daylights out of me. my eyebrows pull together as i look at the person coming in the room. jesus christ, he's good looking.

"sorry, i had to print files." he says and the makes eye contact with me. "wait... kehlani, right?"

i nod my head and smile at him, "correct. you didn't tell me your name."

"blake." he laughs, gathering the papers. "you're jack's pa, right?"

"yes." i mutter.

he calls him jack, but i was strictly told to call him mr. gilinsky. maybe my boss is sexist.

"how's that going for you?" he asks.

"it's terrible." i complain.

"these papers are for him." blake holds them out to me. "do you mind giving them to him?"

i grab them from his hands, "no, of course not."

"okay, thank you." he flashes me a smile. "i'll see you around the building. i have to get back to work."

i wave him off and set the stack of papers on the table beside the cup of coffee. i pour some more packets of sugar into the liquid, hoping that it's not too sweet now. when i've finished that, i head back into mr. grumpy's office.

"here you go, sir. i added more sugar and i also ran into blake. he wanted me to give you these." i say, setting the papers and coffee on his desk.

his eyebrows are tightly pulled together as he scans the papers. he puts them back down and takes a sip of his hot drink.

"thank you, kayla." mr. gilinsky says to me.

kayla? what the hell?

"it's kehlani, sir." i correct him.

at least he thanked me.

"right... well, after i've checked these out, i need you to bring them back to blake." he tells me and i smile a little; i get to see that cute boy again. "you can take a seat for now."

i nod my head and carefully sit down on a chair across from him, trying not to trip over myself. i gaze at him as he focuses all his attention on the stack of papers while occasionally sipping his coffee.

"do you mind if i ask how old you are, mr. gilinsky?" i blurt and my eyes widen.

i didn't mean for it to come out that quick. i was going to analyze his looks and try to make an estimated guess in my head. he slowly sets the papers down and makes intense eye contact with me.

"twenty one." he replies. "why?"

"wow, you're young." i comment.

i'm younger than him, but he's very young to be a ceo.

"yes, well, after my dad died, i had this passed onto me. it's not like i wanted it." he mutters, looking back down at the paper.

his long fingers grasp a black ink pen and he starts to scribble things down onto the paper. he writes things down quickly for a few seconds and i awkwardly watch.

"how old are you?" mr. gilinsky asks me, catching me off guard.

"twenty. shouldn't you know this? you hired me." i say, not trying to be rude.

he bites his bottom lip, "i don't remember. i read a lot of employee files, kayla."

this time, i don't correct him because it's pretty much useless. he's not going to remember anyway. i would've thought that we would at least remember his own personal assistants information. something as simple as a name.

"why don't you go to college?" he asks me.

"i do online courses." i respond.

"maybe after you graduate college, we can get you a better position here." he tilts his head slightly.

i smile a little, "when i graduate, i'm going to get a better job."

his eyebrows quickly pull together once again, giving me that cold and hard stare. it makes me squirm in my seat.

"are you trying to wound me?" mr. gilinsky asks.

"n-no." i stutter. "i was just saying because of your question."

"right." he mutters, his eyes going back to the paper once again.

after a few moments of silence, he clicks his pen and then neatly puts each piece of paper on top of one another. he holds the stack out to me.

"here you go." he says to me and i grab it from him, his fingers brushing against mine light, making me inaudibly gasp.

his touch makes the hairs on my arms completely stand up. he stands from his seat and buttons the bottom of his blazer. jack, now i can call him that in my head, brings his arm out towards the door.

"ladies first." he politely says like a gentleman.

"where are you going?" i raise an eyebrow. "don't you have more work?"

his lips turn into a small smile, "i'm a human and i need bathroom breaks too."

i blush from embarrassment, looking down at the tile floor. he smiles at me. maybe he's lightening up to my presence. i scurry towards the front desk and ask where blake's tiny office is.

"thank you." i say to the secretary and make my way towards his assigned area. "blake?" i ask once i see him.

"hey, that was fast. can't stay away from me?" he teases with a grin on his face, making my insides go absolutely nuts.

"very funny. mr. gilinsky told me to bring these to you."

he takes the paper from my hold and flips through every page, nodding his head as he goes.

"you can call him jack around me. i won't tattle." he tells me, his eyes still glued to the texts printed.

"okay, i should get back to jack's office." i reply, saying goodbye.

i turn and bump into a hard figure immediately. i look up and come face to face with the one and only. my boss. i thought he went the bathroom. was he watching me do a simple task?

he gives me a long stare before turning to go back to his office. i follow behind him and he shuts the door after i get inside his office. it's a not slam, but it's a door shut where you know he's mad.

"clearly, you don't get it." he hisses as i sit in a chair.

he rests his hands on the desk in front of me and i try to steady my breathing. oh no. this is it. this is where i get fired and i've only been here for less than a month.

"look at me." he demands and my eyes flicker up to him.

i fix my posture to give the illusion that he doesn't intimate me, even though he does. he's the most intimidating man i've ever met.

"you call me, mr. gilinsky because i am your boss." he emphasize and i nod respectfully. "you don't flirt with any of your colleagues because that's a ground rule in here. employees are not supposed to date. that is unless you want to get fired."

"is spying acceptable, though?" i ask, testing his limits.

his eyes hardened, "get out of my office and go home."

"what?" my eyebrows raise in disbelief. "i haven't finished-"

"go home. i'll see you tomorrow and when you come back, don't bring that little attitude of yours." he glares at me and i remain silent, obeying his commands.

{vote, comment, share}