two

"good morning, mr. gilinsky." i greet him, walking into his office.

i bring him his coffee and bagel. how badly i want to dump the scorching beverage onto his face.

"good morning, kayla. thank you. did you leave your attitude at home?" he raises an eyebrow.

i mentally roll my eyes. he's probably doing it on purpose to piss me off and let me tell you, it's working.

"can't answer that, sir."

he purses his lips into a thin line and there's a hint of a scowl on his face. he tries to ignore me and proceeds with typing on his imac. he takes a sip of his coffee and doesn't complain about it being too bitter today.

there's a short knock on the door and we both look over to it and at each other, confused expressions flit across out faces. i stand and fix my skirt and open the door. blake smiles at me, but he has no papers in his hand.

"i came to ask you something." he tells me.

"she's busy." mr. gilinsky's cold voice says to him and i shake my head.

"i just got here and i wasn't doing anything. what do you need?" i ask with a smile on my face.

"want to get lunch with me during your break?"

"she can't. she needs to attend a meeting with me." jack interrupts once again and i want to glare at him.

since when?

"alright, maybe tomorrow?" blake asks and i nod.

"or we could get dinner or something." i tell him and he gives me a smile.

"okay, see you later." he says before walking off.

i compose myself before turning back to jack. a pathetic smile is on my blushing face and i want to jump up and down.

"sorry, i didn't know he was going to come and see me." i apologize, but i don't know why i'm the one apologizing.

he pushes his bagel and coffee a fair distance away from him, "i've already told you that you can't flirt with other employees."

"i'm sorry, mr. gilinsky." i mutter, taking a seat. "what's the meeting about? how come i wasn't aware of it?"

"i just decided that you're going to come with today. it's a meeting with some people from england." he tells me, tapping his pen on his keyboard.

it makes an annoying sound and i fight the urge to throw the pen across the office. i gaze out of the huge glass window that basically takes up the entire wall. la stares back at me from the other side.

"have you had breakfast yet?" jack asks me and i shake my head.

"i kind of woke up late and rushed here." i let out a breathy laugh.

"you look well put together." he tells me.

heat rises to my cheeks, "thank you."

he gazes at me for a little longer before letting out an awkward cough and returning his eyes back to the screen.

"so, you don't have a boyfriend or significant other, i presume?" he says out of the blue, causing me to be taken aback.

"obviously not if i was accepting the little date with blake." i respond, sarcasm clearly in my voice.

his eyes darken, "watch your tone."

"maybe if you weren't stating the obvious, i wouldn't have retorted that way."

"that's two strikes, kayla."

"it's kehlani, damn it!" i exclaim, holding back on banging my palm on the table in front of us.

he abruptly stands from his chair, towering over me. he bends down to come face to face with me and he clenches his jaw. his face is a mere inch way from mine.

"your tone and language are unacceptable. that's three strikes." he tells me.

i lean back against the chair in an unladylike fashion and cross my arms over my chest. i absolutely don't care anymore. i can't say that i hate him bossing me around because that's my job.

"okay, then go on. fire me." i tell him.

he breathes heavily, closing his eyes for a brief moment, "i'm not going to fire you. i'm just warning you to not act this way. not around me."

he opens his eyes back up, they're still rubbing with rage and frustration. exactly. he can't fire me. he needs me because he knows just as damn well as i do that no one wants to work as an assistant for this rude man.

"can you go to the vending machine and get me a granola bar?" jack asks, taking out his wallet and handing me two dollar bills.

"sure." i flash him a fake smile.

"do you want anything?" he asks, pulling out two more dollars.

"no, thank you." i shake my head. "i'm capable of paying for myself."

"okay, don't rush though. you need to eat still." he looks pointedly at me.

i nod, smoothing the creases of my skirt when i stand. i walk out of his office, wanting to jump off of the building. i hate working for him so much. i hate him in general, but it's my fault. i applied for this job.

i look down at the money in my hands. why does he need to pay for the granola bar? it's his vending machine.

"good morning, kehlani." i hear a female say, causing me to turn and face the source of the sound.

"olivia, hey." i smile.

"how's your morning?"

"not so good." i let out a laugh and she gives me a concerned look.

"you okay?" she asks me.

she's such a nice person. why am i not friends with her? i barely have any friends except reagan, johnson, and recently, blake. i hang out with a lot of people, but we aren't close. i can trust reagan and johnson.

"yeah, i'm going to grab some food." i tell her.

"oh, for mr. gilinsky?"

she has to call him that too. i swear he's sexist!

i nod, "yup."

"okay, i'll leave you to it." she gives me another smile. "bye."

i wave at her and start by going to a vending machine to grab his granola bar. that little argument i had with jack earlier made my appetite vanish. i just get his granola bar and return back to his office.

"i thought i told you not to rush?" he says instantly as i walk him.

i shrug, giving him his snack, "wasn't hungry anymore."

his facial expression softens and when he notices, it goes back to its normal, intimidating and cold ways. i want to roll my eyes. i always do, but i can't.

"you have to eat. go and get something. even if you're not hungry." he says. "we have that meeting during your break, remember?"

"i'm fine, mr. gilinsky. don't worry about me." i tell him.

"as if." he mutters, thinking that i can't hear him, but i can.

i heard him loud and clear. if he can't respect me, why should i respect him? just because he's my boss? i'm his assistant! i pretty much do all of the walking for him. he should be thankful and grateful to have me around.

{vote, comment, share}