thirty three

kehlani's pov

"good morning, did you sleep tight?" jack asks me once i step foot into his office.

i nod my head, "yes, i did. did you?"

he smiles and lightly shakes his head, "it would've been better if you were sleeping with me."

a blush finds its way onto my face and butterflies release in my stomach. he has such a way with words.

"you're going soft, mr. gilinsky. you're not supposed to be soft in the office." i tell him, feigning disapproval. "you're supposed to be a demanding nuisance."

he chuckles, opening his arms to welcome me, "come here."

i walk to him and he thrusts me forward once his arms go around my waist. i don't want to be all lovey dovey in the office. it's such a weird place. i lean down to peck his lips.

"alexa didn't give you shit when you walked in, right?" jack asks me and i tense.

"no." i bluntly reply.

i'm being honest. she kept her mouth shut for once.

"okay, good."

"why?" i question, while raising an eyebrow.

"i was just wondering. we conversed and she isn't that mean to me." he says.

"that's because she's trying to get with you." i scoff.

images of them kissing in this office briefly flash in my mind, causing me to abruptly pull away from him. that was gross and i wish i could unsee that.

"well, she won't have me." jack reassures me, noticing my uncalled for action.

i smile give a small smile, "that's appealing to hear."

there's a short knock on the door and alexa's big ass head peeps in. she glares at me, but then gives jack a warm smile. ha, she should've applied for the assistant job before i did if she really wanted him.

"there's someone here to visit you, mr. gilinsky." her high pitched voice says.

"whoever it is, tell them i'm busy." he flicks his hand to shoo her away, pretending to write notes.

i try to hold in my laughter. my gaze moves to alexa's surprised one.

"she was very urgent, sir." she adds and he lets out a long sigh.

"okay, invite them in, if you must." he almost scowls.

she nods and exits the room. jack slouches back in his chair in a very unattractive way. suddenly, a lady in her forties, i would say, enters the room and jack sits up immediately.

"mom, what are you doing here?" he asks, panic laced in his words.

mom? mom?! that's his mom! why do i feel the sudden need to look more presentable?

"i came to check in on my son, of course." she gives him a bold smile.

he stands up to give her a quick hug and then his nervous eyes flicker to me. through the two months i've been working him, i've never seen his mother. therefore, i've never met her. there's a first for everything.

"you must be kehlani." she says, smiling at me. "i'm katherine. my son has told me a lot about you."

what? when did he have the time to talk to her about me? being polite, i shake her extended hand and now i'm as nervous as jack.

"anything i can help you with, mother?" jack interrogates, sounding so sophisticated and professional.

momma's boy.